News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

PATRONS OF YOUNGSTOWN ARTS NEW PROJECT!!!

Started by Jaime Hughes, April 06, 2007, 08:09:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jay

I now have a copy of the 2007 calendar published by the director of events for the city of Youngstown.  The brochure is confusing.  The events are not listed in order.  Parties at Buffalo Wild Wings are listed separately, and the Mahoning Valley Thunder's games appear on yet another page.    The calendar should not have been printed so far in advance.  For example, the Rusty River Music and Art Festival did not make the list.   To avoid confusion, all of the events should have been listed in chronological order.

Somehow the calendar also contains events taking place in Brier Hill, the Four Seasons Flea Market, and the Mill Creek Community Center, which obviously are not downtown.

Jaime Hughes

Thanks for the picture Jay! Anyway- I'm not sure what festival your referring to then? My organization is working in partnership with Rusty Rivers Festival- and their creator. I know that we have to work out details and such....but as far as I know RRF did their homework and didn't find any other festival besides Vex Fest and the Pig Iron Press Fest. And as far as I know these festivals are not documented with the Federal Plaza Director.

Steve Novotny is the creator of RRF and he broke everything down very well in the way of how things should function on this two day event. He talked to the Chevy Centre and they were all for it- no one ever said that there was another festival in the works that month also. But I did hear talk of Vex Fest happening a week before the RRF.

Like I had said everything is subject to change, we are still somewhat working on the State Theatre because we would like to raise money to put a plaque up in memory of the theatre- So it could let passerby's see what the building once was and now what it stands for.
I have a meeting with Mr. Novotny on Tuesday April 10 about 5ish. We need to work out details and see that this festival is something that could really benefit downtown and is a good idea?

Thanks again for the photo!

jay

This is a photo from a previous VexFest.
The event had a least three stages.

jay

I was not referring to Vex Fest.  Somewhere I have a photo taken at Vex Fest a few years ago before the removal of West Federal Street.  The event was well attended.  If I find the photo, I'll post it as a historical reference.

As far as I know, the Downtown Street Festival will take place on North Phelps Street between West Federal and West Commerce.  In the past, the street  was blocked off for the day.  A stage was set up for performers, and various artists had tables from which they sold their art.  Food vendors were also part of the mix.

I have an important question.  Have any of these festivals been included in the downtown Youngstown summer event schedule published by the Federal Plaza Director?  I do not have a copy but will try to obtain one next week.

Jaime Hughes

Jay were perfectly aware of the festival "VEX FEST" taking place a week before RUSTY RIVERS FESTIVAL. We are currently in negotiation with the creator of Vex Fest as well as finding very interesting information out about this. "Vex Fest" includes very hard metal music, and only targets to one genre as well as area of people. RRF on the other hand- targets all walks of life, musical abilities as well as artistic talents such as painters, sculptors, writers etc. RRF will have much more family oriented things to do instead of just seeing bands you are able to see paintings, walk around and see the beauty of downtown in the summertime, possibly see plays, have some good food and fun times!

jay

Are you aware of the downtown street festival taking place the weekend before your event?

Jaime Hughes

Patrons of Youngstown Arts (POYA)

We are proud to present our next project and Mahoningvalley.info is the first to know! RUSTY RIVER ARTS AND MUSIC FESTIVAL!! Sunday August 5th, 2007* at the Chevy Centre. We will include different bands from all walks of life as well as the arts aspect such as independent film festival, sculptors, painters, writers, theatre and dance. If you would like to sponsor this event please contact Jaime Hughes at YoStateTheater@yahoo.com or Steve Novotny at rustyriverrocks@hotmail.com.

What ever happened with the State Theatre Facade?

Corey and Myself worked as hard as possible to save this almost 90 year old building. Sadly, do to extensive damages the project to redo the whole theatre over would climb to over $20 million dollars. At our first initial meeting we decided to save just the beautiful terra cotta facade that is shown on West Federal. With the help of everyone in the community as well as area downtown businesses we were able to save the facade from being moved or destroyed. As the State Theatre comes down for the technology center (who knows when demolition will begin? they denied proposals for the tech center again.) they will gracefully work around the facade and support it with metal beams that will keep this beautiful piece stable.

We thank you for all of your help and cannot wait to work with all of you again. We appriciate all the kindness and support that we had recieved from the community and we are pleased to be apart of the downtown youngstown family. This is our city and we plan to protect the arts and entertainment district as much as possible! Thanks again!!

*Sunday August 5th is subject to change. If you have any questions or concerns feel free to contact us.