News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Orange flags on the corner

Started by Rushblvd, January 15, 2018, 07:54:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rushblvd

as I just "Spewed my Coffee" reading your remark Irishbobcat-I am sure iwasthere would definitely know the answer to this.. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Irishbobcat

Waving a flag as you cross the street? Will we need a parade permit to do this?

Why?Town

Local pedestrians have the "highest concentration of accidents being centered around downtown and YSU's campus".

This makes perfect sense considering how many people are walking in that area vs other places locally.

"According to the Governors Highway Safety Association, pedestrians account for 15% of traffic deaths in the U.S., with over 6,000 pedestrians being victim to vehicle collisions in 2015. These statistics show an increase in pedestrian fatalities from previous years."

I am sure this is true. My guess is that these numbers went up because both drivers and pedestrians are distracted by their cell phones and cause accidents.

"The goal of this project was to ensure that pedestrians feel safer as they walk across the street," said Lukas Darling, YSUscape secretary and a downtown resident.

So pedestrians were feeling unsafe prior to this?

Is a little 4in x 4in flag being held or even waved going to be easier to see than the person 4ft to 6ft tall and 2ft to 4ft wide that may or not be holding or waving it.

Feeling the need to improve something is not a problem. Trying to do something like this is not a solution.

Rushblvd

northside lurker

From this article: https://businessjournaldaily.com/ysuscape-installs-crosswalk-buckets-and-flags-downtown/

"The organization has attached crosswalk buckets to poles or signs at each side of an intersection, with each bucket containing a few bright-orange flags. Pedestrians can carry these flags with them to show their intent to cross the road and to increase their visibility to motorists while crossing."
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
--Thomas Edison

Rushblvd

What are the small orange flags, in a cup holder,  on the corners? I saw them in downtown and at Market & Midlothian?? If this was addressed before I apologize, I missed it.