News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

The Arts

Started by Towntalk, December 01, 2006, 12:55:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Towntalk

Youngstown and Warren are blessed with a wide variety of organizations that fall under the Arts category ... all of them needing our support, yet for some this is not enough ... they want more and they want the tax payers to foot the bill. Forget the fact that most of the folks around here are having to scrimp and do without in order to keep their heads above water. Forget the fact that the public school systems in Youngstown and Warren are in deplorable condition ... forget the fact that half the city of Youngstown is in a war zone condition, and we need more police ... forget the fact that this area has one of the highest unemployment rates in the state ... so where are we suppose to get the money to build more theaters?

I would love to be able to go to a concert at Powers ... see a show at the Chevy Center ... or see a play at the Youngstown Playhouse, but my budget will not allow it, and I'm not alone, so why should I be expected to have my taxes increased in order to provide for something that I will not be able to afford to use?

Opera? I love opera, symphony music ... I was brought up on it, but I have to settle for second best 45/49 in order to keep out of the Poor House.

When are these people who  keep crying for more venues going to start putting their own money where their mouths are?

What brought this on?

A Yougstowner into ballet posted a comment on Cinema Treasures about the so-called "lack of support for the arts" here in Youngstown, and that is pure hogwash. Just pick up a copy of MetroMonthly and take a look at all the events that are going on here. If there wasn't support, do you think that these establishments would continue to give us great entertainment? No!