News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Not Enough Youngstown School Board Candidates

Started by jay, August 07, 2015, 06:22:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Towntalk

I hope that before the next election that the FBI and Justice Department steps in and does a complete investigation of each and everyone running for any office in Mahoning County.

jay

We'll just have to wait to see if anyone chose to be a write-in candidate.  Names should be published in the newspaper in the next day or two.

Towntalk

Jay, I was just funnin' you. I couldn't agree with you more my friend,

jay

I never knew this.

A candidate for the Youngstown School Board has had to be a resident of Youngstown for a specified length of time.

jay

Dictate?  No!

Encourage public involvement in our community - Yes
This is something we should all do.

AllanY2525

Quote from: Peggy Gurney on August 13, 2015, 09:49:34 AM
Just a guess, but I think that more people aren't running because everything's going to go topsy-turvy anyway. I mean, what's the use of even having a school board if the CEO is going to call all the shots?

I tend to agree with your suspicion....an uncertain job security outlook could
be a major deterrent to those considering a run for the position.  But then,
with the track record of the so-called school board of the past several years,
can the city justify their job positions as legitimately necessary at all?

They obviously weren't doing the job they have been getting paid to do
correctly, given the sad state of the city's school system.

The board probably won't have any problem at all finding new applicants
once the new CEO has figured out who is going to stay and who gets fired
and all of the dust has settled.

Towntalk

So you personally will not run, yet you reserve the right to dictate to whoever runs?

jay

I know of one person who is willing to run as a write-in candidate.  It is a difficult way to get elected but circulating petitions and getting enough valid signatures is even harder.

Hopefully there will be several write-in candidates.  One thing for sure, one of the write-ins will be elected to the school board.

Towntalk

If you are so gung-ho about someone running for the school board, why don't you do it? Why do you expect others to do what you will not do yourself? Besides Peggy hit the nail on the head in her comment.

Peggy Gurney

Just a guess, but I think that more people aren't running because everything's going to go topsy-turvy anyway. I mean, what's the use of even having a school board if the CEO is going to call all the shots?
~ Normal is overrated ~

jay

Someone could run as a write-in candidate.

Are there any Forum members willing to run for school board?

jay

Lacking one school board candidate, what is the procedure for someone to file this late to run/fill this fourth seat?

AllanY2525

My vote would be for ALL of the board positions to be posted for hire, pending
state review of who deserves to stay onboard. 

Including the superintendent.

jay

According to a story in the Youngstown newspaper, four Youngstown School Board positions are open but only three people have filed to run for this office.