News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

VERY BAD NEWS FOR YOUNGSTOWN

Started by Towntalk, May 07, 2015, 10:45:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peggy Gurney

EXACTLY! We are still here, and will be here for hundreds of years to come, unless the good Lord comes first.
~ Normal is overrated ~

Towntalk

You know, I agree with you there are at least 4 reports that come out every year pro or con, and you'd think that the newsmedia would simply ignore them, but no, they have to latch onto them like a hungry new born calf latches onto it's mother and make a big deal of it almost like BREAKING NEWS ... HELLO WKBN, WYTV, WFMJ, The Vindicator, and the Youngstown Business Journal, get a life already, these reports are meaningless in the grand scheme of things. Life goes on in spite of all the negative reports that come down the pike. Youngstown has been the scape goat for almost it's entire life, yet we're still here.

Peggy Gurney

I have learned to put NO stock in those reports. None. Nada. Zilch. Zippo.

We have been in so many of these stupid reports/lists, it's pathetic.

We have been the worst of many topics and the best of many other topics. So are we the worst or the best? It depends on which publication or website you're reading!
Whether we are the worst or best for any given topic is solely the opinion of the writer who most likely does not live here anyway.  Why give that any credence.  Who cares what the writer thinks.
Who has even heard of WalletHub? Who cares what WalletHub.com thinks?  Not me.

I'd rather spend my time working to help make Youngstown the best it can be and to heck with what any outsider thinks.  ppfffftttt...
~ Normal is overrated ~

AllanY2525

I think the report is not taking all things into consideration, also.... small busineses
are more at the mercy of the local economy BECAUSE they are not part of a large
chain with many locations (which can absorb losses from locations that are not doing
well due to local economic conditions).

It also depends on the type of business.... e-commerce companies, for example, are
immune to bad local economic conditions because they "ship" their "products" outside
of the areas where they are located, ie: their customer base is everywhere.

The companies spawned at the Small Business Incubator, such as Turning Technologies,
Revere data analysts, the InfoCision call center, etc. sell their products and services all
over the WORLD - most of their customers are not IN the Youngstown area, and therefore
the local economy doesn't affect them in the same way as, say, a local roofing company, a
bakery, a car dealership, a restaurant, etc.

This is why I have said more than once that Youngstown needs more I.T. businesses and
businesses that sell a product or service to customers OUTSIDE the area. The product gets
exported, and the resulting profits are then imported right into Youngstown - regardless
of what shape the local economy is in.

Towntalk

I guess I might be pessimistic about the city's future, but the new City Council will have a lot to  do to prove that they are prepared to get off their duffs and put their campaign promises to work BIG TIME and I have little confidence that they will.

Peggy Gurney

~ Normal is overrated ~

Towntalk

http://businessjournaldaily.com/youngstown-ranked-worst-city-for-small-business-employees/

Lets hope that the new crop of Councilmen and women can set aside their self serving interest and start thinking about the future of Youngstown, but I have some very serious doubts ... very serious doubts indeed. To our young people, I say make up your minds to get out of town ASAP because you have no future here.