News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Ice Covered Downtown Sidewalks

Started by jay, January 15, 2015, 05:57:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

YoungstownBiker

Phil "The Youngstown Defender" should be throwing salt on those sidewalks...  ;D

Peggy Gurney

~ Normal is overrated ~

Towntalk

Rick Rowlands

Like Allan said, the city is best equipped to deal with this problem.  One city salt truck and three workers with push spreaders can salt all of the sidewalks within a couple of hours.  They have the tools, the manpower and we pay their wages, so get to it!

PD

Peggy Gurney

Has anyone contacted the Mayor about the issue?
~ Normal is overrated ~

Towntalk

I don't know what good it will do, but I sent e-mails to both WKBN and WFMJ about this problem.

PD

The area from silvers vogue shop past Avalon downtown is terrible. Don't go there

Towntalk

>:( >:( >:( BASED ON THE TWO BUSINESS JOURNAL ARTICLES OUR ONLY CONCLUSION IS THAT SOME OF THE DOWNTOWN LANDLORDS >>> BUSINESS OWNERS ARE NOTHING MORE NOR LESS THAN BALD FACED LIARS! >:( >:( >:(

joly1584

It seems to me the worst offenders are the out of town landlords.  Central Square is a problem because they will clear near the buildings, but won't clear all the way to the crosswalks.  Just a path to the crosswalks would be nice.

A couple of articles from The Business Journal regarding snow removal in downtown.

http://businessjournaldaily.com/economic-development/some-building-owners-slip-their-sidewalk-duties-2015-1-15

http://businessjournaldaily.com/economic-development/icy-sidewalks-follow-city-hears-one-complaint-2015-1-16

jay

Many of the sidewalks downtown are free of ice and snow.  Other sidewalks have never had the snow removed.  The snow compacted under foot traffic turned to ice.  No ice melting materials were ever applied.

AllanY2525

How about having Youngstown's street department clean the streets and public
sidewalks in Youngstown's downtown business district....or would that be to
much like common sense?

I can see asking residents to shovel the sidewalks in front of their own homes
in residential neighborhoods, but downtown should be able to take care of itself
by itself with regard to clearing the streets and sidewalks - there are no home
owners downtown, and there is not much downtown to have to clear when it
snows.

Towntalk

That ain't the way is's suppose to be ... everything has to be 100% perfect 100% of the time and everyone has to be protected from any and all inconviences 100% of the time.
As you pointed out, it's winter ... it's cold ... water freezes ... people must use some of the common sense that God gave them when they go outside. But judging by the views of some people, the burden rests with the guy behind the tree.

Rick Rowlands

Yeah, well I slipped and fell a couple of days ago too.  Its winter!  That is what happens in winter.

jay

I've heard that a female fell on the sidewalk near V2 today.