News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Charter Amendment Meeting

Started by jay, June 25, 2014, 06:27:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BG

I will find people to pass around your petition if your group will also get signatures for the Youngstown Community Bill of Rights petition.

AllanY2525

Quote from: Peggy Gurney on June 28, 2014, 11:18:24 AM

Probably most, I agree. But there are some YSU students who have volunteered for the petition drive up here on the north side.

Exactly - we can't make blanket assumptions about students as though every single one could be described as "apathetic".

When I read local papers and blogs with articles showing projects the students gave volunteered for, this
becomes quite clear.

jay

Circulating a petition is almost like walking to/in a parade.  You cover the same ground but at a slower pace.

Peggy Gurney

Quote from: jay on June 28, 2014, 05:46:45 AM
In my opinion, students are the most apathetic segment of our community.  They equate texting and facebooking with activism and that's just not how a petition drive works.

Probably most, I agree. But there are some YSU students who have volunteered for the petition drive up here on the north side.
~ Normal is overrated ~

Peggy Gurney

PD, first of all, I'll forgive your arrogant tone since you are apparently new here.

Secondly, it's none of your business what the hell I do, nor when, nor how long it takes me to do it.
I work, and I take care of an autistic child, and I am VERY busy in my neighborhood and community - not that any of that is any of your business, but there it is.

Now I suggest you back off pal from attacking people on this thread. you are very quickly alienating yourself - or is that your intention.  ;)
~ Normal is overrated ~

Towntalk

Thanks for the clarification Jay and I fully agree with you on that score.

Towntalk

As a matter of fact I do PD, but I will not name them to a newbe here like yourself, for the longer you are on  this site the more you'll get to know them. As to your saucastic remark about my health, I will defer from commenting because profanity is not allowed here if you're intelligent enough to get the drift.

jay

QuoteNo lack of bodies on campus and students are always volunteering for stuff in the community

In my opinion, students are the most apathetic segment of our community.  They equate texting and facebooking with activism and that's just not how a petition drive works.

AllanY2525

Has anyone thought about asking for volunteers from the political Science students at YSU?  Perhaps
One or more who are pursuing their B.A. degree would be interested in an exercise of the political
process involved in the petition - and how it works for Youngstown's citizenry(sp?)

No lack of bodies on campus and students are always volunteering for stuff in the community.......

Just a thought....

PD

Town talk. I have no idea what that paragraph was about?  I know I will be getting petitions signed.  Do you know people that act like birds pumping their chest out bragging?
All i ever see from you is that you can't do things because of one excuse or the other.  What is it this week?  Your hip or your knee?

Towntalk

>:(  PD, WHO SAYS THAT WE JUST SIT ON THE SIDELINES AND DO NOTHING. WHAT DO YOU KNOW WHAT WE DO OR DON'T DO JUST BECAUSE WE DON'T STRUT AROUND LIKE STUFFED GEESE WITH OUR CHESTS PUFFED OUT BRAGGING ABOUT WHAT WONDERFUL PEOPLE WE ARE! SHOOTING OFF YOUR MOUTH WITHOUT KNOWING US PERSONALLY, DOESN'T IMPRESS ANYONE!

PD

The process of getting petitions signed will take about a month.  Peggy, are you packing and moving the entire month of July and August?
There are those that are dedicated to change and will do what is necessary to make it happen.  There are also those that complain about change needed and simply sit on the sidelines and wait for others to do it.  Which person are those on this thread?

Towntalk

So what you're saying is that Peggy should drop everything she has to in moving into her new home, and homebound folks who barely get around should risk their health to get petitions signed, yet YOU have NEVER OFFERED TO HELP THOSE WHO LACK TRANSPORTATION to get out and help you get petitions signed. YOU CHALLANGE OUR CIVIC DUTY...YOU HAVE THE GAUL TO QUESTION OUR COMMITMENT... HOW DARE YOU!
EXCUSE ME FOR BEING ANGRY, BUT THERE IS MUCH MORE TO CITIZENSHIP THAN TO RAM TO A HANDFULL OF MEETING IN WHICH YOU HAVE ABSOLUTELY NO INPUT, AND THE WORK THAT PEOPLE LIKE PEGGY, MYSELF, RON, RICK, KENNYJOE, iwasthere, do every single day without asking for credit more than makes up for not running to every meeting under the sun.
Do you seriously think that City Council gives a hoot that you are in the audience ... they could care less and you know it, and the same goes for the County Commissioners, or any other meeting you attend. They'll do what they do and there's nothing you can do to stop them. Back in my younger days I was just as active as anyone else, I was on first name basis with a number of folks in City Hall, and that led to my newsletters and web site, and one of the city's most powerful talk show hosts (Dan Ryan) gave me a daily forum to vent my spleen fifteen years. Now I'm 75 years old, homebound, and with my fair share of health problems, not that you or anyone else cares.

jay

Signing a petition is easy.

Taking a petition door-to-door, hour-after-hour, day-after-day is the hard part.  Too few in our city are willing to do this.

About 2,200 signatures will be needed. 

Towntalk

Nicely said. Some folks are ready and willing to sit in judgement of others without having full knowledge of their circumstance. A lot of our members have full time jobs in the real world; others like myself are home bound; others like yourself have other important issues, and let me add, you have done more real world community work over the years than some of those who would sit in judgement of you, and I'll bet that they haven't done a tenth of what you have done.