News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Downtown Events Scheduling

Started by jay, June 18, 2014, 08:37:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AllanY2525

I also agree....events coordinator should report directly to the mayor's office - with some
input from council.  I think streetscape taking over would be good, also....

Towntalk

We agree ... except that I feel that the director should coordinate all of the events for all four sides of town DeYor; Covelli; and Stambaugh Auditorium the exception. But we agree that it should be kept out of the hands of City Council, who has no business being in the entertainment business. God knows that if they did the job that the City Charter  says that they are suppose to do, they would have their hands full, and we all know that they are utter failures as witnessed by their performance concerning redistricting.

penguinnick

Let me try this a 3rd time...sorry that my 1st sentence keeps coming up in small print:  In my opinion it is imperative that Youngstown has a full time Director of Downtown Events that reports to the mayor (I think we all agree that it's ludicrous that this position has reported to seven different council members, each with a different agenda).  Quality events need to occur downtown year-round, not just mainly May-September (Holiday Parade being one exception).  Having a vibrant downtown with many cultural events is critical to people's perceptions.

Towntalk

You are absolutely right, and so is Jay. I hate to keep repeating myself, but we need to keep the downtown events director out of the political arena (Annie Gillam) and CityScape is a good alternative. Events occure all over the city, and not just downtown and an Events Director that would coordinate all local events is the way to go.

penguinnick

Let me try this again (sorry)...In my opinion it is imperative that Youngstown has a full time Director of Downtown Events that reports to the mayor (I think we all agree that it's ludicrous that this position has reported to seven different council members, each with a different agenda).  Quality events need to occur downtown year-round, not just mainly May-September (Holiday Parade being one exception).  Having a vibrant downtown with many cultural events is critical to people's perceptions. 

penguinnick

In my opinion it is imperative that Youngstown has a full time Director of Downtown Events that reports to the mayor (I think we all agree that it's ludicrous that this position has reported to seven different council members, each with a different agenda).  Quality events need to occur downtown year-round, not just mainly May-September (Holiday Parade being one exception).  Having a vibrant downtown with many cultural events is critical to people's perceptions. 
[/color]

jay

Some have proposed that CityScape should take over the scheduling of downtown events.