News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Who Is In Charge Now?

Started by jay, April 24, 2014, 05:32:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Towntalk

That wasn't the point Peggy it was the style of seats ... folding chairs. True, there were more than 10,000 of them in the photo, so if the people that set up that  concert could set up 10,000 chairs, and I'm not counting all the tables that were placed around the perifory, Covelli should have no problem setting up 1000 chairs.
By the way, that concert was held in that city's town square. That stage belongs to the orchestra who sets it up and tears it down. It's not perminent.

Peggy Gurney

I honesly do not think that they are going to build an amphitheater of that size.
~ Normal is overrated ~

Towntalk

If real seats could be set up for a concert this size, it would be no sweat to set up seating at a Covelli outdoor concert.

Towntalk

Good points. because of train traffic, and admittedly I don't know how much of it there is or what times of day it would be, landscaping would be ideal as a buffer.
I gather that given the fact that they have outdoor movie nights, it isn't a major problem, plus the fact that Eric has been pushing the idea of an outdoor venue. The question is ... is the city on board for this plan?
Also does anyone have any idea of just how many could be seated, and I'm not talking about the  sort of seating that is at the Morley. I'm talking about real seating that would be set up by Covelli and taken down after the event. If they are going to charge admission prices for outdoor concerts then they should have proper seating. Remember that this would be nothing like Blossom, or Morley since it is paved as opposed to grass.
As for those who think that Morley type seating is just fine please justify your thoughts remembering that many of the outdoor concerts would have admission fees. If you are going to pay $10 - $20 - $30 a ticket you certainly wouldn't want to sit in a lawn chair that you dragged from home.

AllanY2525

I think the Mayor should talk to cca about some landscaping at Covelli Center.  It would make it more
attractive as a warm weather venue - with or without an amphitheater. How about a fountain that runs
when the place is open?

Some young fir trees along the property line would be nice, in a few years when they get taller.

There are lots of possibilities that could be done on the cheap.   

Peggy Gurney

IMO they should stay downtown, but the larger festivals moved to the Covelli Centre grounds.
For those people who don't want to walk 3 or 4 blocks to go downtown, an operational shuttle would take care of that.

~ Normal is overrated ~

AllanY2525

I think the events should stay downtown, also.

My mother was born and raised in Salem, b.t.w. - nice little town.

:)

iwasthere

Quote from: Towntalk on June 06, 2014, 10:09:08 AM
MOVE THESE EVENTS OUT OF DOWNTOWN YOUNGSTOWN!
St. Patrick's Day Parade
Greater Italian Fest
Spanish Heritage Fest
Boardman would welcome these events with open arms.
or salem, ohio ;)

AllanY2525

I read online that the city law director (Hume?) Is looking at the city's charter provisions
and past hiring practices to see if city council is even empowered to do the hiring for
this position... hopefully he will find that they are not. 

Mayor McNally kind of has a point about one person having to report to seven bosses
(Which nowadays should now be five instead, anyways...)

:(

Towntalk

I would trust Al Capone; Adolph Hitler; John Dillinger; Bonny and Clyde; and BabyFace Nelson before I'd trust her. If God were to come down and give her his seal of approval; I'd question both his honesty and sanity.

Peggy Gurney

Naw, just because downtown's in her ward, doesn't mean she gets to control what happens there.
At least, it shouldn't

~ Normal is overrated ~

Towntalk

1. Because of Annie Gillam
2. Because of the man that Annie wants to be the boss

Peggy Gurney

WHY would we want any of our events to move to BOARDMAN or any other suburb??   ???
They should stay downtown, but move to the Covelli Centre. There is plenty of land over there to set up.

~ Normal is overrated ~

Towntalk

MOVE THESE EVENTS OUT OF DOWNTOWN YOUNGSTOWN!
St. Patrick's Day Parade
Greater Italian Fest
Spanish Heritage Fest
Boardman would welcome these events with open arms.

Towntalk

Are we running the risk of losing the major downtown events to Boardman thanks to Annie? If she gets her way, I sincerely hope that the sponsors of the events such as Italian Fest move to Boardman.