News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Should Prison Inmates Be Counted As Ward Residents?

Started by jay, August 17, 2013, 08:55:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jay

This video is about a council race in Anamosa, IA.  It is an example of the worse case of gerrymandering in a U.S. city council race.

The video is 2.5 minutes long.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=wzh32Zp_PYk

Rick Rowlands

the only thing they do for her is pump up her residency numbers!

jay

The problem right now is how to write the proper charter language.

AllanY2525

Quote from: jay on August 18, 2013, 02:36:04 PM
Prison inmates are the perfect citizens in her ward. 
They don't complain.
They can't call her.
They won't show up at block watch or council meetings.
They can't vote.

Jay - you forgot one:

Prisoners cannot and will not do anything for her.  The inverse is also probably true - I don't think
she has any plans to do anything for them either, since they are disenfranchised until released
from prison.

Laughing my A## off....

:-)

jay

A group of citizens in Youngstown are investigating language for a charter amendment that would exclude prisoners from being counted in a ward's population figures.

iwasthere

a drm that all ytown city reps to have during their tenure in office.

jay

Prison inmates are the perfect citizens in her ward. 
They don't complain.
They can't call her.
They won't show up at block watch or council meetings.
They can't vote.

iwasthere

Quote from: jay on August 17, 2013, 08:55:38 PM
The east side of Youngstown has several prisons.

Should a prison's inmate population be counted in the ward population when it comes to determining the ward boundaries for redistricting plans?

i had a good laugh when annie gilliam said, "these people are in my ward and should be counted". these people or prisoners do not rent or owned property nor pay property taxes in her ward. when was the last time annie met with these people? at their monthly cell block blockwatch?

jay

This is another issue that Youngstown City Council probably won't address.  The City Charter should be amended to exclude prison inmates from a ward's population number.

jay

The east side of Youngstown has several prisons.

Should a prison's inmate population be counted in the ward population when it comes to determining the ward boundaries for redistricting plans?