News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Red Hat Group

Started by jay, July 08, 2006, 09:16:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Towntalk

I like that. When I hear from my cousin about her problems as babysitter for her grandchildren I can appreciate where the Red Hat ladies are coming from.

Why is it that when the kids go off and get married, they almost automatically think that Grandma and Grandpa should be the babysitter of choice?

:P

ForumManager

From their website

" We are the women in the red & pink hats. We are the mothers, grandmothers, and daughters of society. Little girls grow up, but they're never too old to play dress-up and have tea parties.

The standard answer to the question, "What do you do?" is... Nothing.

Our main responsibility is to have fun! We see this group as an opportunity for those who have shouldered various responsibilities at home and in the community their whole lives, to say goodbye to burdensome responsibilities and obligations for a little while. This is the place to have fun and enjoy yourself. The refrain of the popular Red Hat Society theme song by Mike Harline puts it rather bluntly: "All my life, I've done for you. Now it's my turn to do for me." "

Towntalk

So was I. I was just reminded of a club I use to belong to that insisted that at every meeting we had to wear the club sweater.

What do these ladies do besides wear awful red hats and purple tee-shirts? Gees what an awful color combo.

jay

I used the smiley, :) , to let everyone know I was joking.

ForumManager

I think he was joking. 
I know I was!

Towntalk

What on earth is all the hub-bub about some little old ladies?

Can't a little old lady have a little fun in life without some man thinking that there is something sinister about them?

Clubs for men often have club ties ... blazers ... OOOH are they a gang that the police should be watching?

Or could it be that you are just jealous because you can't join?

The hats are rediculous, and old fashion, but hardly anything to get upset about.

ForumManager

Hmmm and with all that spitting and drinking!

jay

At first, I didn't notice that purple was also part of this society's colors. 

I checked the website.  There are several Red Hat Society chapters in and around Youngstown. 

Doesn't part of the definition of a gang include the wearing of a specific color of clothing?:)

ForumManager

It is an organization whose founder received inspirtation from the poem shown here:
http://lorry.org/Docs/Poems/Other/oldwoman.html

The Redhat Society web page-
http://www.redhatsociety.com/

jay

While attending functions in the Mahoning Valley, I have often seen women wearing fancy red hats.  The photo below was taken on Saturday, July 8, at the Summer Festival of the Arts at YSU. 

What is the purpose of the red hat group?