News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Police Chief

Started by jay, May 17, 2012, 10:11:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peggy Gurney

I've talked to the churches in the area, lack of funds is the big thing. That's why I'd like to see the city acquire the building and donate it or lease it to a non-profit for a youth center.

~ Normal is overrated ~

Towntalk

Have you spoked to the pastors on the SS about acquiring the building?

Look at what St Dom's is doing ... speak to the pastor there to guide you to people who can help. Also the pastor at St. Patrick's.

Peggy Gurney

I believe the goal is (and I stand behind it) to get youth programs going in the neighborhoods and schools where these kids live. What good is boys/girls clubs, boy scouts etc if you don't have a parent who is able or willing to take you there?  If gangs are recruiting kids in the schools, we need to do the same thing, and give them something better that what the gangs are offering.  What do gangs offer? A sense of belonging, companionship, a purpose.  Why do kids take them up on it? Obviously they're not getting what they need at home from family, friends, or community. 

YES it is absolutely the parents responsibility to raise these kids. BUT if the parents aren't going to do it, do we as a community, as a decent society, just leave them to the wolves? Or do we offer them something better?

I have been yelling loud and clear, over and over, for over a year, that there is a vacant building on South Ave just north of Midlothian which used to be a Christian Martial Arts center. PERFECT for a youth center on the south east side. I'm still trying to get someone to LISTEN, buy it up, rehab it, and make it work. It's in foreclosure from what I understand so it really should not be too hard for the city to acquire this building.
~ Normal is overrated ~

Towntalk

I also agree that simply replacing Chief Foley isn't the answer, but what good is starting new youth organizations going to do, there is already a number of active groups in Youngstown ... YMCA ... YWCA ... Boy Scouts ... Girl Scouts ... Boys Clubs to name 5.

Not too long ago it was reported that local gangs are busy recruting new members in local schools and the system seems helpless to stop it.

There are a number of churches on the South Side, but how many of them sponsor youth groups such as the scouting program?

Peggy Gurney

I absolutely DISAGREE that we need a new police chief.  Chief Foley is doing a great job with what he has to work with.
The 7 officers that he when he took the position have recently completed their training and are now out on the streets.
8 more officers have been hired and are in training.
Programs are being developed for young people to get them off the streets, and hopefully deter them from a life of crime.

If anyone has any further ideas as to what he can do, I know personally that he IS OPEN to any and all suggestions.
I doubt that anyone could do a better job.
~ Normal is overrated ~

Towntalk

Thank you Jay.

While there can't be a police officer on every street in the city 24/7, the deployment of officers is the Chief's ultimate responsibility, no question, and it's up to the Mayor to see to it that he does.

Officers can not anticipate a crime about to be committed ... if they could, there would be fewer crimes of any sort ... but that being said, the Chief knows that certain areas are high crime areas, and the area where the latest killings took place is rated as the most dangerous square mile between Cleveland and Pittsburgh according to WYTV so its obvious that officers assigned to that area should not be pulled away to respond to lesser problems unless a signal 12 is called (Officer needs help).

A valid point was also raised that the police need civilians to alert them when there are problems but most folks in those areas are too scared to get involved lest they be targeted by the bad guys, and I can't say that I blame them a bit.

Would a new Police Chief help? I don't have the answer to that question.

jay

C. Boles, 1500-AM, 10:00 a.m.-1:00 p.m.

There are two aspects to his statement.  The city's has had 12 homicides this year versus 4 at this time last year.  The chief has cut the use of overtime which the program host claims has had a negative impact on crime in Youngstown.

Towntalk

Jay, for heavens sake give us more detail in your posts. Who...What...Where...When...Why.

What station ... What host?

This is a serious matter and deserves more detail.

Personally given more detail, I might fully agree, but simply based on your post, I lack the essencial details to make an intelligent decision.

jay

Because of the city's high homicide rate, a program host on a local urban talk radio show is urging Mayor Sammarone to replace the Youngstown police chief.