News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Gasoline Prices

Started by jay, April 14, 2006, 12:07:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MOLOCH

WHEN THE GOVERNMENT TAXES IT IT WILL BE OVER $2 A GALLON.

YOUR MIX USES 15% GASOLINE. DO YOU REALLY THINK THEY WON'T JACK THE PRICE OF IT UP TO COMPENSATE FOR THEIR 70% LOSS AS MORE CITIES BUILD ETHANOL PLANTS?

WE SHOULD GO TO THE ETHANOL MIX NOT SO MUCH FOR SAVING MONEY BUT FOR SELF RELIANCE

AllanY2525

In response to your concerns about the toxicity of E-85 Ethanol mix, check
out the following link:

http://www.e85fuel.com/e85101/faqs/toxicity.php

Is E85 more toxic or dangerous than gasoline?

Response:

No. 100% ethanol can be and is ingested by human beings. The fuel ethanol must be "denatured" with gasoline or a bitter agent to prevent ingestion. Also, ethanol does not contain the harmful carcinogens and toxins found in gasoline.

If E85 is spilled on the ground, can it contaminate ground water?

Response:

Ethanol is water soluble, non-toxic and biodegradable. E85 contains roughly 80% less of the potential contaminants found in gasoline.

MOLOCH

WHAT ABOUT EMISSIONS? WHEN THEY JUST ADDED 15% WARNINGS WERE SENT ABOUT IT BEING WORSE TO BREATHE THE VAPORS AND INCREASED EYE IRRITATION FROM EXHAUST.

AllanY2525

Well,  let's see :

1) They are already mixing Ethanol with gasoline - but not anywhere NEAR
the ratio of 85% Ethanol to only 15% petroleum-based gas.  Which is one
reason why it does not substantially effect the prices at the pump. 

2) The hauling (transportation) costs would  be nearly eliminated - IF  the
Ethanol were produced locally/regionally.   Unlike petroleum, which simply
"is where it is",  Ethanol can be made anywhere in the United states (ie:
locally, in the same area where it will be sold)

3) You mentioned three terms:  "manufacturer", "refiner" and "seller".  The  company refining the Ethanol can be the "manufacturer" and the "seller"
as well.  This would eliminate the " middle-men" and drastically reduce the
markup per gallon on the product.

4) As far as "boycotting" goes, think of it like this:  If we could get to a point
where all vehicles ran on E-85 Ethanol mix, the country would cut its consumption
of petroleum-based gasoline down to 15% of it's current rate.  This would
definitely drive down the price of gasoline by greatly increasing supply and
greatly reducing demand for it.  It would be like having a nation-wide "boycott"
that would last indefinitely.  This does NOT include other means of cutting
consumption, such as hybrid vehicles, and vehicles that just plain get better
fuel economy - such as subcompact cars versus big, gas guzzling SUV's, etc.

MOLOCH

WELL RIGHT NOW ALL I SEE ARE GASOLINE STATIONS AND GASOLINE WILL NEVER BE BELLOW $2.00 A GALLON. THEY ARE ALREADY MIXING ETHANOL IN WITH THE GAS, HAVE BEEN SINCE KATRINA. HASN'T DONE MUCH FOR THE PRICE HAS IT. UNLESS YOU WALK TO WERE YOU ARE GOING - YOU ARE GOING TO BUY GAS EVENTUALLY, IF NOT TODAY - TOMORROW. GAS STATIONS MAKE THEIR MONEY ON GROCERIES NOW NOT GAS. THEY MAKE BETWEEN $.08 - $.12 A GALLON ON GAS. THEY MAKE $.50 ON THAT CUP OF FOUNTAIN SODA. IT IS NOT THE GAS STATIONS RAISING THE PRICES IT IS THE REFINERIES AND ABOVE. WHETHER  YOU GET YOUR GAS FROM SHELL OR BP THE SAME REFINERY SELLS IT SO BOYCOTTING ONE BRAND OF GAS WOULD DO NOTHING TO THE PRICE. THE ENTIRE NORTH EAST WOULD HAVE TO NOT BUY GAS FOR LONGER THAN JUST ONE DAY TO, MAYBE, HAVE AN EFFECT. I DO NOT SEE THAT HAPPENING. THE DIFFERENCE IN THE BRANDS ARE THE ADDITIVES NOT THE GAS ITSELF.   $1.45 TO PRODUCE -  DOES THAT INCLUDE - HAULING EXPENSE , MANUFACTURER PROFIT, REFINERY PROFIT, SELLER PROFIT AND OF COURSE TAXES? IF NOT WE ARE BACK UP TO OVER $2 A GALLON.   

AllanY2525

I disagree...the American public is getting more and more fed up with rising
fuel costs with each passing day.  Recent advances in technology have made
it possible to manufacture ethanol for about $1.00 per gallon now.

Many of the new cars being produced nowadays are "flex fuel" vehicles -
hell, my truck is a 2003 model and it will run on up to 85% ethanol.  If
gas prices keep going up, the private sector will step in and solve the
problem, both with "E-85" gasoline and Bio-diesel fuels.  (Bio diesel
produced from used vegetable oils costs about $0.75 to $0.85 per gallon
to produce).

E-85 ethanol mix is 85% alcohol and 15% gasoline.  If you do the math,
it would cost about $1.45 a gallon or so to produce, based on a price
of $3.00 per gallon for the gasoline portion of the mixed fuel.  This is well
under HALF the current cost for pure, regular unleaded gasoline.

MOLOCH

TORNADO FORMATION IS WAY UP FROM THE LAST FEW YEARS. I AM SURE WE WILL HAVE ANOTHER BAD HURRICANE SEASON TOO. BETWEEN THE TWO THEY WILL CREATE "THE NEED" TO RAISE GAS PRICES. IF BY SOME MIRACLE NOTHING GETS DESTROYED THEY ALWAYS HAVE THE WAR TO FALL BACK ON AS AN EXCUSE.  I SEEN AN ARTICLE THAT SAID GAS PRICES WILL GO UP FOR THE NEXT 3 YEARS. IT WILL NEVER BE UNDER $2 AGAIN

http://www.spc.noaa.gov/climo/torn/monthlytornstats.html

Ed

The other day on the local news there was a story where Mr. Bush is going to have an "investigation" done to find out why the gasoline is so high.  Does he think we all just got off the boat?

p.s. how many other things will Katrina take the blame for?  Hope there isn't another storm that bad, the water will start costing more next.  haha

AllanY2525

I wish I had the time and capital to start the business now, but until I finish the apartment
building and get it going I won't have the means to do anything else.

Gas here in the DC metro area is aready MORE than $3.00 per gallon in many places,
and I would not be surprised if it hits FOUR dollars a gallon this summer.  This is about
nothing but PURE, UN-ADULTERATED GREED on the part of the OIL COMPANIES.  They had
record profits last year - at one point I heard there was some kind of congressional
investigation going on, but I'm sure that many members of our congress are in bed with
the Oil Lobbyists, etc. so that won't go anywhere fast.

I think that people are going to start organizing boycotts of the gas stations if fuel
prices rise much more.  It's rediculous when I have to pay over $80.00 just to fill
the tank in my truck.  I'll be driving my small, 4-cylinder car most of the time until prices
begin to become more reasonable again.

jay

The high gasoline prices are taking a lot of money out of family budgets.  I'm sure transportation dependent businesses are also taking a huge hit.  Just think of how much money for energy is leaving the Mahoning Valley each month.

I hope Allan has some success with his biodiesel idea.  We need some homegrown fuels in the valley.

ytowner

These prices will rise near $3.00 max unless of another hurricane or terror attack. By next summer they should be back near or beloew $2.00 a gallon. By then the Oil Rigs will be back up in running in the gulf.

jay

What ever happened to the prediction that gasoline prices would continue to fall after last year's huricane season?

What do others think about these high prices?