News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Contracting for Grass Cutting

Started by jay, April 10, 2006, 05:55:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jay

High grass helps the criminals to identify which homes are vacant and the high grass problem in Youngstown is out of control.  I feel that a neighborhood block watch, if one exists, should be given the ability and resources to correct problems at vacant homes.  Some block watches in the southeast side of Youngstown have organized grass cutting days as a way of making these vacant homes look like someone is still living in them.

AllanY2525

Well,

Putting this kind of cleanup work up for bids from the business sector might just
help to drive down the cost of doing this kind of project.  Free market competition
could actually be of benefit to the city in terms of getting vacant properties cleaned
up. 

These properties are blighted and need it badly, but the city should examine all
options before spending its limited funds on cleanup projects to make sure they are
going as far as possible towards fixing the problem.  Getting bids [in and of itself]
costs the city little or nothing.

jay

A city councilman at a meeting I attended last week stated that the City of Youngstown is going to contract for grass cutting services at vacant homes.   I think they are in for a shock when they find out what a business will charge to clean up debris, cut the grass, and bag the clippings at vacant homes.