News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

North Side Post Office May Close

Started by jay, July 26, 2011, 09:03:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jay

Which WRTA bus route will connect (sort of) the three remaining U.S. Post Offices in Youngstown?

Answer
The three remaining post offices in Youngstown will be the Downtown Main Post Office on Walnut Street, the West Side Post Office on Mahoning Avenue, and the Cornersburg Post Office on Canfield Road.  The 35-Cornersburg WRTA bus route starts downtown, passes within two blocks of the West Side Post Office , and travels directly in front of the Cornersburg Post Office.

During the year, I've used the bus to travel to each of these post office locations.

Towntalk

Weeks go by that all the mail I get are a couple of pieces of junk mail delivered by the post office, but a day doesn't go by that I don't have to go into my internet mailbox three or four times a day to clear it out.

iwasthere

Quote from: Rick Rowlands on July 26, 2011, 10:07:32 PM
There is a north side post office?

For crying out loud, close them down!  If they cannot support their own existence then consolidate with another facility.  The US Mail is not as important as it once was, and needs to redefine itself to its new, smaller role.  Maybe someday disappear altogether as private companies take over what is left of the post office's business.
rr do you know if the government did a complete and correct job to justified its closing? private companies vs government i will go with the government.

AllanY2525

I agree with Rick - in the twenty first century, the Internet is nearly ubiquitous (I know - $64 word for "everywhere" lol...)
and private sector businesses like "Mailboxes, Etc" can easily fill in for post office boxes, parcel shipping, etc.  FedEx
comes right to the pickup address in many cases.

It's cheaper, faster, and less expensive to send most correspondence via email.  For those who don't have Internet
service at home, there are more and more free and publicly accessible places where folks can use the Internet.

The post office needs to change with the times we now live in... as for the jobs that will be lost - well, this is life in
a capatilist society.. the post office has to do what it has to do in order to survive and remain viable.

Rick Rowlands

There is a north side post office?

For crying out loud, close them down!  If they cannot support their own existence then consolidate with another facility.  The US Mail is not as important as it once was, and needs to redefine itself to its new, smaller role.  Maybe someday disappear altogether as private companies take over what is left of the post office's business.

Towntalk

The postal service is proposing a shift to what they're calling a Village Post office concept, allowing third-party retailers such as Ship on Site or grocery stores to carry USPS products.

If this is the case, if Save-A-Lot's new store in the Union Square Plaza, or Giant Eagle did this then I see no real problem for folks on the North Side.

The only problem would be for folks that used PO Boxes inside the Post Office.

I use the N.S. Post Office maby once or twice a year. I buy my stamps at the grocery store while doing my shopping, and when it comes to mailing a letter, the mail lady picks it up on her rounds.

The only real problem would be if a person had to mail a package, but if third-party site had that service, the problem would be solved.

jay

It looks as though the north side post office is on the list of postal facilities to be closed.

How do north side residents feel about this announcement?