News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

The "why and the "how" of the hopeless Obama presidency.

Started by Dan Moadus, July 15, 2011, 12:52:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan Moadus

Good points "kennyjoe". There are certainly many good reason people don't support the Middle East wars, and they are expensive no matter how you calculate the costs. But on balance, I still think they are necessary for any hope of safety. Clearly if we were not involved in the region there would be terrorist training camps galore and the job of being a terrorist would be a lot less risky. I happen to think we are at war with Islam whether we like it or not. They declared it and everyday they call for the annihilation of the West.

I'm sure you've heard the term, "A good offense is the best defense". Well, adages don't hang around unless they're true and I think this one is particularly true. We know the Middle East is the spawning grounds of terrorism, so having a giant American military footprint there is sensible. Granted we have lost a lot of young Americans, and it's tragic, but that's the price we must pay to stay on the offensive. In my heart, I believe that had we not gone there, we would have had another big attack along the lines you described. But we have killed many terrorists and terrorist leaders, and we have captured many of them as well. We have our foot on their necks, which is the way I like it. We have largely stopped their "easy" funding and we have kept them on the defensive. Until someone comes to their senses in that so called religion of theirs and stops demanding that everyone be killed who isn't a Muslim we are going to have to bear this cost, both in young lives and dollars. I wish with all my heart it was not so.

kenneyjoe330

Point well made Mr. Moadus concerning where the Navel Fleet is at any given time.  I do agree that we have kept them 'busy' over there being 'in their face' and eliminating some of their people - particularly those in the higher echelon.  Having said that, I truly believe it does not mean we are any safer here or anywhere else in the free world.  Just stop for a minute and think what a fantastic plan that was to blow up the Twin Towers (may they all rest in peace !) those people were very cleaver and they still are.   Just think - most urban areas get their drinking water from a single probably unprotected source.  Germ and biological warfare can be fought on the streets of any large city anywhere.  Beside the 'regular' armed services doesn't the National Guard participate in these wars?   They would be at their "regular" jobs probably making more money than off at war (causing personal monetary problems).  In my little book war is WRONG just plain and simple WRONG and not very intelligent either - there is more than one way to kill a cat  :-X ! ! ! IF a cat even has to be killed.

irishbobcat

THe GOP Agenda is Wrong for America on all fronts.....

Republicans like Dan need to be stopped.

Dan Moadus

Glad you liked the article "kennyjoe". A lot of the article refers to the American influence right after World WarII. As far as our current wars go, I support them, maybe with the exception of Libya.  For the most part the American presence in the MIddle East has kept the enemy tied up and off balance. We also killed many of their fighters and leaders.

I think the cost of the wars is greatly exaggerated. For instance, when we station a Carrier in the region its cost is attributed to the war, but if it wasn't in the region it's not like it would be mothballed. It would be sailing in another part of the world. The same goes for the cost of the troops in the arena. If we weren't in Iraq or Afghanistan wouldn't most of those troops still be in the service drawing their pays? Granted they are probably getting combat pay which is higher, but they would still be receiving most of their pay if they weren't in Iraq or Afghanistan.

As far as your comments about the Republicans. You're right in thinking most of them would like nothing better than for Obama to fall flat on his face. But I think the newcomers are the real deal, and are thinking about what's best for the country, unlike a lot of the Old Guard Republicans, who differ little from the Democrats.  I do believe though that we are standing on the precipice, and don't stand much of a chance of avoiding worse conditions than Greece is experiencing if we don't take drastic steps to cut spending, and I mean right now. Our government has engaged in a giant ponzi scheme, and like every ponzi scheme it's come to the end of the road.  It has promised all of us complete financial security for very little investment, but has now reached the point that all ponzi schemes do where all those early investors got paid with new investors money which now is not enough to continue the scam.  Think about it. The Democrats have been telling us that Social Security is so sound that nothing has to be done to it for another 30 years and now are saying that if they aren't permitted to borrow some more money, checks will stop going out in August.  That should serve as a wake up call to all those who listen to the Democratic sirens.

Rick Rowlands

kenneyjoe330

Very nice article Mr. Moadus - very good points and excellent hindsight.  Was Germany at war at the time?  You know in all these questions about economics I NEVER hear about how much the WAR costs - or is it two wars?  You know the more I think about it the angry I become that ALL OF CONGRESS goes HOME for breaks and vacations AND THE WAR GOES ON AND ON AND ON and COSTS KEEP OCCURING - including their own BENIFITS AND COSTS - and year after year the wars go on and on and the cost keeps growing and growing.   I do not particularly care for President O'Bama and I surly did NOT vote for him however I DO feel the Republican Party just wants for him to make a mistake OR TRY to prove him wrong FOR ONLY POLITICAL REASONS and NOT to BENIFIT AMERICA or AMERICAN'S IN GENERAL.  I can not go any further than YOU and MUST go with my own GUT feeling.  Everyone at one time or another deserves the 'benefit of the doubt' - of course that includes you  :-*

Dan Moadus

I don't think I've read an article that lays out what's wrong with the Obama presidency better than this: http://tiny.cc/utggn  It clearly demonstrates how a man who considers himself as a "progressive" has such a "regressive" philosophy. It uses the example of how Germany is now almost clear of the economic problems plaguing the West, simply by abandoning the very ideas that Obama embraces. It's an eye opening read.