News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

"How Phil Kidd can secure the black vote"

Started by Youngstownshrimp, January 11, 2013, 10:04:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Towntalk

:)  He could always move to the west side garden district. I hear that it's one of the swankiest parts of town.

irishbobcat

Towntalk

Someone suggested tossing out Louie B Free for Mayor ... young ... young ... young ... er young. But he has a cult following.

Youngstownshrimp

436 hits, more than Kidd for Mayor FB. 
Now that we experimented with Kidd for Mayor, let's move onto finding a true leader and forget the brand name and community organizing attempt.  We should watch out for that movement, because it does work, Obama is an example of this.  The MVOC,YNDC, MYCAP and the other nonprofits many times are just that, vehicles to organize voting blocks in Urban areas.

Youngstownshrimp

Last week had the meeting at Reeds chapel, first questions was why don't I shrimp in Poland?  I stood in front of the crowd and took it like a man, and stayed on the path of setting up Mt. Hope.  Feedback is that it is moving forward and another meeting is planned.
Strange, I learned that Kidd and the community organizers are really insignificant over on the eastside.  Jimmy Hughes, Kitchen, Andersien, Annette Brown, Gillam, they were all there.  Doesn't seem like Kidd is upheld as a leader by the any significant amount of the population.  Seems like a brand is trying to get on everyones radar without substance.

Youngstownshrimp

The eastside  especially the Sharon line is different.  Spent some time on the phone with a representative of the Reeds Chapel, the same Chapel which is the depository of the archives of the Mt. Hope Cemetary.  Their approach is spearheaded by families who have kin buried at the cemetary.  This of course is a strong approach and spiritual at that, I respect this.  So I am more confidant  now than before that reorganization can happen for the cemetary.  I was also told that a nonprofit corp. is being set up to tie the whole community together.
With TT's research, it appears in the recent past that the cemetary has been mismanaged and this is my only fear.  Hopefully the community with our help can make the historic cemetary an icon for decades to come.  An interesting point though was when I asked the community representative if they knew Phil Kidd, her quick response was "I know Phil Kidd he even aint from here." 
At this point it doesn't seem like Mr. Kidd's potential to court or lead the black vote on the eastside is in motion.

stewie

Sounds like a great plan Ron. Rest assured you will be fracking, timbering, or shrimpin there in no time.  I am sure that having a fine member of the community like yourself steeped in a rich history of being a helpful law abiding citizen on team Kidd will help him immensly.  Perhaps he will consider you to be his campaign manager? In the meantime I will continue to lurk in the shadows waiting for the proper time to expose myself.

Quote from: Youngstownshrimp on January 13, 2013, 10:09:55 PM
Update:
Mr. Kidd led on this subject by pulling out one of his major contacts on the Eastside (Glenda house).  He says that their group Northeast Youngstown Community Organization should be perfect fit for this project.  I put in a call to Glenda House and left a message.
Forum members, we need some helpful volunteers here.  The owners of the cemetary have worked hard on cleaning up the title and the taxes are now current.  It is now up to the community to take it to the next step.  If some of you can communicate with the eastside community we can get this project packaged just right.  Please do your part for the community.
TT, from where you sit, you could produce the archives of the cemetary.  IWT , you can be the representative at all the meetings coming up on the eastside.  Rowlands, your museum is around the corner.  Jay, perfect one for annoucements.  Irishbob, the cemetary is green.  And Stewie, you can keep lurking in the shadows  :)
Lyndz?  ahhhh, might be too political.  If you really want to change Youngstown, now is the time, funding is already here albeit from the energy companies.

Youngstownshrimp

Update:
Mr. Kidd led on this subject by pulling out one of his major contacts on the Eastside (Glenda house).  He says that their group Northeast Youngstown Community Organization should be perfect fit for this project.  I put in a call to Glenda House and left a message.
Forum members, we need some helpful volunteers here.  The owners of the cemetary have worked hard on cleaning up the title and the taxes are now current.  It is now up to the community to take it to the next step.  If some of you can communicate with the eastside community we can get this project packaged just right.  Please do your part for the community.
TT, from where you sit, you could produce the archives of the cemetary.  IWT , you can be the representative at all the meetings coming up on the eastside.  Rowlands, your museum is around the corner.  Jay, perfect one for annoucements.  Irishbob, the cemetary is green.  And Stewie, you can keep lurking in the shadows  :)
Lyndz?  ahhhh, might be too political.  If you really want to change Youngstown, now is the time, funding is already here albeit from the energy companies.

Towntalk

You're absolutely right Ron ... sorry about getting sidetracked ... and it's wonderful having you back John.

Towntalk

John, given your history of service to our city which is indeed one to be proud of both with the fire department and city council, as the child of a fireman myself, I would never consider deminishing your history.

What I do not understand is that the 2010 plan does not mention your name in the acknowledgments at the beginning of the final report, and given what you've said, it should be there.

Now I know that George has a huge ego as big as the planet Jupitor, but fair is fair.

Youngstownshrimp

Nice to see you back on this site Councilman Swierz.
With due respect for all of you, please get back to the subject here.....I believe I own this thread.

john r. swierz

After attending a NLC convention in 1997 where I researched plans from Loveland and Red Wing Colorado. I then convinced the CDA Committee of council (Fortune,Atkinson,Swierz) to set aside $125K as seed money over three years($375K).  RFP was put out  and a committee was picked to interview the respondance. I sat on that committee and we selected Urban Strategies from Ont.
Canada.  I also sat in as one of the several COY individuals that was first interviewed by U S . I then sat in with the first 200 stalkholders that was invited by Urban Strategies.   As a member of the CDA committee of council we were always updated.
I attended all the community meetings. Reality is that Mayor McKelvey put Jay Williams in charge for his administration. Yes Jay Williams often mentioned my name as the driving force for the comprehensive plan.  Finally check the Vindy political review of my interview in1995.  Now , I don't say this to feed my ego, but reality is that Urban Strategies drafted the plan and council approved it.
Finally , yes I had a very important part in getting the process started  and the plan approved

iwasthere

tt this plan was given to the mck adm at the  jrs's term. i strongly suggest that you call jrs on the 2010's history. 

Youngstownshrimp

Well, I took the liberty to formaly ask Defend Youngstown on their FB to lead the turn over of the Mt. Hope Cemetary.

Towntalk

iwasthere FYI JRS wasn't in City Councilwhen the 2010 Plan was written so how could he have been the father of the plan?

SOURCE: The plan itself at the acknowledgement section at the beginning of the report.

City Council Members when the 2010 Plan was produced:

James Fortune, Sr. – Council President
Artis Gillam, Sr. 1st Ward
Rufus Hudson 2nd Ward
Richard Atkinson 3rd Ward
Carol Rimedio-Righetti 4th Ward
Michael Rapovy 5th Ward
Paul Pancoe 6th Ward
Mark Memmer 7th Ward