News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

"How Phil Kidd can secure the black vote"

Started by Youngstownshrimp, January 11, 2013, 10:04:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Towntalk

My friend, and you are my friend, I am quite well aware of how documents such as the 2010 plan are drafted, and indeed staffers write the drafts, and the director approves the various components. They are then combined into the final document. I am equally aware that a member or members of City Council set the ball in motion, but again I point out that is their job that's what they are paid to do, but the final resulting product rests with the department that wrote the report, and the director of that department gets either the credit or blame. Saddly the actual authors of the various component parts of the report receive little credit for their work unless they are called upon to explain it either at public meetings or to City Council.

JRS brought back an idea not a final plan, and it garnered international attention once it was written so I will give him credit for that, but that was only being a part of what a City Councilman worth his salt is suppose to do, but again, the final result was produced by others after much input at public meetings that were held to get public input.

Did JRS have input during the writing of the report? I simply don't know, I wasn't there,but I seriously doubt that he followed the day to day writing of it. [Note that I didn't say that you said that he did, so we need not go there.]

iwasthere

my frd tt i never said jrs help write the plan but he brought this plan back to ytown to impliment by plugging in the info. people are giving jw too much credit for the 2010 as his own formula for revitalization in which there were other forces behind this plan. give credit is where credit is due when you do this it makes you a creditable ind.

Towntalk

So what's your point other than to be picky ... so Jay got a promotion within the Labor Department. That's a big deal my friend.

Here's the WYTV report:

Former Youngstown Mayor Jay Williams, who left his post to work as car czar for the Obama Administration, has been promoted.

The Office of Intergovernmental Affairs recently announced Williams as the new deputy director. He started his new job Friday.

"When Jay Williams was mayor of Youngstown, I knew he had the determination, skills and work ethic to take on great responsibility," said Rep. Tim Ryan, D-Niles.  "Today I congratulate him on his promotion to deputy director of White House Intergovernmental affairs, a job that literally puts him in the White House."

Williams had been heading up the Office of Recovery for Auto Communities and Workers.

The IGA division works with elected officials from cities, towns and counties giving people like mayors and city council members the opportunity to provide input and learn more about White House operations. 

"Jay Williams is a good friend, and I know that he will be a friend to Youngstown and the entire Mahoning Valley," said Ryan. "We have a great story to tell about our resurgent manufacturing sector, and although we won't be satisfied until all of our workers are employed, I know we can count on the former mayor to make sure our voice is heard."

The fact of the matter is that his new job is even more important than the old one.

Youngstownshrimp

People!
Youngstown 2000, Youngstown 2010, they were failures relative to the deindustrializion of YukTown.  The City kept spiraling into insolvency, blight, uneducated state, political corruption and depopulation PERIOD.
Now let's get back to the future, you all have correct ideas.
Here is some guilt, since I may have been the one who drove Kidd away from this site where we all started, I will be the first to invite Mr. Kidd back in...............and..........most of you must POST the same, we all know this is the site for true debate.

Towntalk

BUT who actually oversaw the writing of the 2010 Plan? Did JRS so much as type a single word in that plan? It's one thing to get funding ... Congressmen do that on a daily basis, BUT they do not get credit for writing the plan. Credit goes to the department that actually wrote the plan and the head of that department gets the credit.

iwasthere

tt, jay recently posted the numbers of ytown council reps call jrs. jrs will tell you the story of the format of the ytown 2010 plan that jrs brought back from a "league of cities convention. tt did those articles go into details on how that plan was formed? did jw ever give crd to jrs about his involvement of the 2010? mckelvy did not want jrs to impliment this 2010 because he did not want jrs to use it as his success stories when he ran for mayor in 2005. quess who found the seed monies for the 2010 plan? you quess that right, jrs. tt correct me if i am wrong.

jay

There's one good thing about a PK candidacy.  He would bring a large group of young well educated people into city government.  The current group of elected politicians and their appointees have left us in a state of stagnation.

jay

Jay Williams is not the current auto czar.

Towntalk

Do you know for an absolute fact that would withstand Heavenly examination that JRS was the creator of the 2010 plan and that Jay as the head of the CDA had nothing whatsoever to do with it in its developmental stages or as it was brought out for public input at the various public meetings?

If so, since there is much about this plan on the internet, please be so kind as to provide links to sites that will verify your contentions, and I will admit that I was wrong, but I must stress that without links to support your contentions, we will only have your personal views, and as good and honorable as you are, less will not suffice.

iwasthere

tt i hate bust your bubble with jw was the brains behind 2010 plan. jrs was the one that brought back this comprehension plan for ytown. jw named the plan while community leaders helped him plugged in the info and the numbers for ytown 2010. as for him being the first ind black ytown mayor is half correct. jw was a closet case republican when he ran for mayor. clarence smith, the republican chair in 2005 intro jw to all the rep boe members to tell them to help jw any way they can for his bid for the mayor's office. the rep party did have a candidate in the mayor's race, bob kerchnack. as paul harvey would say, "now you know the rest of the story".

Towntalk

Oh and by the way, Jay Williams had no political experience except being the director of the CDA for a period of time, yet it was through his work that the Youngstown 2010 plan was developed, and where is Jay today? Working as Auto Czar at the White House. Most of his professional life was in banking. And he ran as an Independent.

Towntalk

With all due respect, and I do mean respect ... all any of us know about Phil is what we read about or see on the news ... snatches here and there that tell us very little about the man, but there is much more about him that we don't know about him, not that it is any great secret, but simply because we aren't close personal friends of his.

Looking back over the history of Youngstown's Mayors, granted they all (except one) had a political track record to go on, and that may or may not count for something, but is that the end all and be all of being mayor of Youngstown?

Not to brag, but I think that based on my years of research into the city's history gives me a good insight of all the men that sat in that office, and without exception, all had their failures some huge, some so minor that they aren't even worth talking about, so obviously "experience and track record" are not as important as some would make on about.

As a community organizer, has Mr. Kidd built up a contact list of well placed people that could benefit the city? We simply don't know, and to say otherwise is foolish since Phil would never tell us about them for professional reasons.

Does he have knowledgeable people who could serve him well as advisers? Again we don't know, but where is it written that we must know absolutely everything about the man right down to the most minute detail, even the most personal details of his life?

For more years than I care to remember, some here have consistently complained about not getting new blood into city government, so here is the opportunity to do just that, and what do thy do, complain that Phil lacks experience ... that he doesn't have a track record in city government. Golly, what would it take to please these folks?

irishbobcat

Ron, My new part-time night job is being a political consultant...a la network talking head....after watching Karl Rove's appearance on FOX
News after Obama was declared winner last November, I fugured ANYBODY can do that!