News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

YPD Honored On Dragnet

Started by Towntalk, August 10, 2013, 09:31:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Towntalk

In April 1970, Congress passed the Public Health Cigarette Smoking Act banning the advertising of cigarettes on television and radio starting on 2 January 1971.[52] The Virginia Slims brand was the last commercial shown, with "a 60-second revue from flapper to Female Lib", shown at 11:59 p.m. on 1 January during a break on The Tonight Show.[53] Smokeless tobacco ads, on the other hand, remained on the air until a ban took effect on 28 August 1986.[54] Recently, even further restrictions took effect under the newly enacted Family Smoking Prevention and Tobacco Control Act. Effective 22 June 2010, the new regulations prohibit tobacco companies from sponsoring sports, music, and other cultural events. Also, tobacco companies can no longer display their logos or advertise their products on T-shirts, hats, or other apparel. Eventually, the law is planned to require almost all tobacco advertisements to consist of black text on a white background, but the constitutionality of that requirement has come under scrutiny.[55]

Towntalk

Starting in January 2, 1971 to the best of my knowledge.

AllanY2525

What a HOOT, Town talk....I listened to the end of the mp3 and the tribute to Youngstown police
chief.

One thing that struck me as funny was the repeated ads for Fatima long cigarettes = they must have mentioned them
at least 10 or more times in the space of just a few minutes.

Does anyone remember when cigarette ads were banned from TV ?

Towntalk

On it's 12/15/1949 show, DRAGNET paid tribute to the Youngstown Police Department and Chief Edward J. Allan.

http://archive.org/download/Dragnet_OTR/Dragnet_49-12-15_ep029_Garbage_Chute.mp3

The tribute comes at the closing of the program.