News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Who was she?

Started by Towntalk, May 30, 2013, 03:06:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Why?Town

I didn't do much newspaper reading beyond the comics as a youngin' but I do remember reading one article of hers (early 80s maybe) where she was reminiscing about the good old days when her mail would be addressed "Ester H. Youngstown Ohio" and that was enough for delivery.

Billy Mumphrey

I remember growing up that if Esther Hamilton mentioned you in her column, you had made the big time!

Towntalk

:) You're right Billy, it was Esther Hamelton. She started her career as a front line reporter back in the days when women were confined to the society pages of newspapers and covered several huge national stories such as the Linberg kidnapping/murder case for the Youngstown Telegram, and soon became one of the most respected and feared reporters in the history of Youngstown newspapers.

When the Telegram was bought by the Vindicator she became a feature columnists for the paper and her columns ran daily except Saturdays until she retired, and moved to Florida, after which she sent back articles that appeared in the Sunday editions until her death.

Esther was a great person ... tough as nails, but a great heart.

Billy Mumphrey

Is that a young Esther Hamilton?

Rushblvd

So the answer please??????????????????????????? :'(

iwasthere

a lady that had a weekly article in the sunday vindicator called,"ard town with...." she knew more about ytown happenings while living in winter lake florida then the local leaders.

Towntalk

jay

Does her last name begin with the letter H?

Towntalk

Who was this lady?