News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Need Help With Vacant Lot Beautification

Started by Shirley, August 09, 2010, 07:26:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DefendYoungstown

Rushblvd

Sorry I have a meeting today @ 6:00  so I will not be able to help..If you don't get them all done let me know I am off tomorrow Thur. and I am good for passing things out in the morning...

DefendYoungstown

Sounds good. We'll probably just be getting started. I'm going to bring some pizza, so we'll probably grab a few slices then we will split into teams and head out. Just give me a call on my cell and I'll let you know where we are at. (330) 519-8712. Thanks, WSNN.

Shirley

I have to work until 5:30. If I get out on time I will TRY to come maybe around 6 or so. I will just look around until I can find someone.

DefendYoungstown

I know it's rather short notice, however, if anyone is able to assist for any amount of time tomorrow evening with distribution of fliers for this Saturday's St. John's / Garden District "Summer Fest 2010", it would be greatly appreciated.

We will be meeting tomorrow night between 5:30pm at Fellow Riverside Garden parking lot. I have a few people from MVOC who will be helping, however, there are 13 (or so) roads to cover, therefore, we could always use a few extra volunteers to make the work go as quickly as possible.

If you are able to help, please respond to this thread or email me at phil@mvorganizing or call me at (330) 519-8712. Thanks all.

Shirley

Thanks everyone.  I will post it when we do pick a day. If you can come that would be great. If not that is OK too. I appreciate the offers. I also want to get more involved in things going on in the area. So if we can help any of you in anyway (except rototilling) please let us know. I have more time now than I have the last few years.

Thanks Again.

DefendYoungstown

I have two wheel barrows (but would need a truck to transport). Also, like Rush, I may be able to assist depending on when you plan to do the work.

Rushblvd

When do you plan on doing this? Give me enough notice and I will be in... :laugh:

Shirley

Thanks Steve & Rick. Even if you can't help I want to thank you. I do know that people are busy so we appreciate help when we can get it. And if people cannot help I understand. Unfortunately we do not have any young members in our group to help.  We have got to get the young (younger) people involved. Thankfully we do have 1 or 2 men in our group that usually help us. And I am sure we drive them crazy. I will go to the lot over the weekend and see what really has to be done before we can get it rototilled. I am just guessing that we will have to dig up anything that we can see sticking out of the ground. Right? I guess you can tell we have never attempted anything like this before.

Shirley

We are working on the two lots. I would really like to get 55 N. Bon Air done this year if we can. We still have to go thru the lot and see if we can dig up any debris. They do not really do a very good job when they demo the houses. I am going to that lot maybe Saturday and see what I can dig up. I know the lot still has to be cleaned up somewhat before it gets rototilled. So I guess the answer is two lots but I would be happy with one of them done. It was a single lot home. We just really want to make it look better. We are planing on planting flowers and shrubs and stuff at that lot. There are way too many crummy vacant lots. I know you are busy (I check you out on facebook and I see all the work you are doing) but we would appreciate any help.

Rick Rowlands

How much rototilling needs done?  Multiple locations or just one spot?   Maybe I can help.

Shirley

OK- our group is working to beautify a few vacant lots. One is 55 N. Bonair (corner of Oakwood and Bon Air) and one is in the 100 block of Manchester. Does anyone know of someone or group that does rototilling? Since the majority of us are women none of us own a rototiller. I can use some suggestions.
Here are a few pictures. Before and after on Bon Air. We worked on the Bon Air for a few hours last week. Still have alot to do.