News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Attention John

Started by Towntalk, June 01, 2010, 06:17:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AllanY2525

I posted a biography of Governor Tod taken from this same book (I think)

It's in the biographies section of my website..

Towntalk

John I found a description of Governor Tod:

Source:
Ohio Archeological and Historical Publications Vol. VIII - Pg. 111 - Honorable David Tod – By George B. Wright - Published in 1900.

Governor Tod was 5' 10" and weighed about 190 pounds.

Wright knew Governor Tod personally meeting him when he was Governor in 1861. Wright was Quartermaster General at the time

john r. swierz

Now all we need is a full body. I know that we could make this happen!

Towntalk

John, here is the Governor's bust that I mentioned.

Towntalk

John. I just sent you a message if you haven't seen it already.

Sent it to your web site.

john r. swierz

I know several other people who would like to be rhe committee. Someone that should be involved is Sharon Letson and eventually, 1st Ward Council member Annie Gillam.  Call me and lets set up a meeting next week

Towntalk

That would be great Rick, and hopefully they would be on the committee.

As I visualize it, the pedestal would match the monument at the Tod lot at Oak Hill Cemetery with the statue of Governor Tod on top. The base would rest on a block of marble with flag poles on either side (U.S. and State flags) that would be lit at night.

Around the monument would be a wrought iron fence with a gate that would be about three feet high with the gate in the rear of the monument, and a bronze plack in front would be placed with whatever inscription the Tod's would deem appropiate.

Rick Rowlands

I have a good relationship with the Tod family, since they have invested heavily in the creation of the Tod Engine Heritage Park.  Lets get together and talk about it.

john r. swierz

I believe I did read that when I was reviewing his info.

Towntalk

John, I don't know if you know it or not, but Governor Tod fought on behalf of Black soldiers in the Civil War, organizing two regiments here in Ohio, and demanding that they got the same pay as their White counterparts (Source: A History of the Negro Troops In The War of Rebellion by George Washington Williams - Harper Brothers 1888 at pgs. 133-135). Ohio had 5,092 Black troops in that war (Pg. 140) 127th O.V.I. (Colored) (pg. 135).

It would be fitting and proper that this information be a part of the monument.

john r. swierz

You are on target. Several years ago , (and I am still trying) to create a Gov  David Tod memorial Garden. It would be located on N Walnut from Wood St south to E Commerce.  He has a great, Great , Great grandson that was in the steel business in McDonald. At the time I started,  the Choffin Horticulltural school was operating. I thought what a great partnership.  It would be a stepdown bunker flower garden with fancy mini water falls at the bottom. Lets get a committee together and ask his relative if he would help. Lets get started!

Towntalk

I've been reading the papers of Governor David Tod and got to thinking that we do not have a proper memorial to the man who led the state through the Civil War.

A monument to his honor would be appropriately located directly across the street from the Man on the Monument, and should be more than just a plaque such as the one we have for John Young.

My idea would be to establish a committee led by the director of the Butler Institute of American Art, and a contest held on the monument's design.

One of the main qualifications would be that the figure of Governor Tod should be life size rather than just a head, and it should be facing the Man on the Monument.

A fund raising drive should be done under the supervision of the committee so that the monument is paid for with private funds.

What are your views on this idea?