News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Question for John

Started by Towntalk, May 27, 2010, 07:58:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Towntalk

Here's two longshots:

1. Do you have a friend at the Board of Elections that could dig out the election results if they are maintained?

2. The Libraries microfilm file for the Vindicator. The paper always publishes election results and the library has a complete set of microfilm for the period you need.

john r. swierz

Thank you. As for our records  I will have to spend some time(mucho) reviewing some of the achivies.

Towntalk

John: Here's the reply I got from the Library:

We found a list of council members from 1869-1907 (27 pages) in the Revised Ordinances of the city of Youngstown, 1907. We found a list for 1908-1920 in annual volumes of the Annual Report for Youngstown (9 pages)of which there are missing volumes for 1910, 1911, 1912, and 1916. For the 1920's and the 1930's the only lists we have are contained in the annual city directories on microfilm of which we are missing 1921, 1922, 1925 and 1932. We have a typed list of members from 1940-1986 (3 pages). Beyond this, members may have continued to be listed in the city directory in the late 1980's and maybe the 1990's, although they are not listed in this source in the 2000's. If you would come to the Information Services Dept. on the 2nd floor, we would be happy to show you these sources and we can show you how to make photocopies. As an alternative, if you contact City Council they may be able to send you a complete list: 6th Floor, City Hall 26 South Phelps Street Youngstown , OH 44503 Office Phone: 330.742.8709 FAX: 330.742.8707 Hours: Monday thru Friday 8:00 am to 4:00 pm E-mail: VMarrow@CityofYoungstownOH.com Also,the Mahoning Valley Historical Society may have a complete list as well: 648 Wick Avenue Youngstown, OH 44502-1289 Phone (330) 743-2589 Fax (330) 743-7210 mvhs@mahoninghistory.org We hope this helps. Yours truly, Librarian

john r. swierz

Thanks, I have those but in the late 20's and in the 30's ,40's the are missing names.

Towntalk

John, in going into my files on Charles Scheible - 1923 - here are the men who won seats that year if it will help

1st Ward Harry Payne
2nd Ward Wm. J. Corrigan
3rd Ward Frank B. Jones
4th Ward Wm. Buchanan
5th Ward George H. Roberts
6th Ward John Rothwell
7th Ward O. E. James

Towntalk

I just e-mailed the library asking for a list.

john r. swierz

I have a list , but there are many names missing. The list I got was from the MVHS, I will try the library

Towntalk

I'd love to have the complete list myself for my library. Try e-mailing the Public Library. They are great in providing material via e-mail. Better than the Museum in fact.

john r. swierz

Very interesting!  theres been a few streets named after some of them.  Can you research the names of the city council members from 1923 to present, I made some wooden plaques and want to list them on parchment paper and hang them on the wall in our office. If you find a good list could you email them to me?

Towntalk

Youngstown Township In 1875

Trustees:
L. T. Foster
John Brothers
W. T. Hughes

Clerk:
G. J. Williams

Treasurer:
T. H. Wilson

Assessor:
Asahel  Medbury

Constables:
D. H. Arnold
Wm. Casey
M. Donnelly

Justice of the Peace:
John M. Edwards
George McKee
John D. Rany

Towntalk

The Township Trustees must have had jurisdiction over a big chunk of land.

john r. swierz

I believe all the land in Mill Creek Park in y-town is listed as Youngstown Township.  Unless they changed it recently

AllanY2525

Sounds like they made a smart play - ceding the land to Youngstown Township,
knowing that the city would eventually wind up annexing it as the city grew.

:)

Towntalk

Ohio Steel Company (See J. G. Butler's History of Youngstown and the Mahoning Valley Vol. 1 at pages 220-221 cf. page 217)

Rick Rowlands