News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Mahoning Commons Question

Started by jay, May 25, 2010, 06:23:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Penguins37

Quote from: john r. swierz on May 26, 2010, 08:53:56 PM

If I took the bus to Federal Station and I walked across the Firefighters Memorial Bridge  and walked 3 blocks on Mahoning Ave. is it wrong to think that I am not still in downtown Y-town.

Yes you would be wrong, you would be in the Mahoning Commons not Downtown.

jay

I like to think of the Mahoning Commons as part of the west side for this reason.  Every other side of town touches the central business district except the west side.  Also, most of the other sides of town have one or more main roads leading into the downtown.

North Side - Belmont, Fifth Avenue, and Wick Avenue
South Side - South Avenue, Market Street, and Oak Hill

john r. swierz

Steve, it is okay to have a different opinion. I know that there are cross streets in theCBD. My question to you is . why is it wrong to say that YSU is in the downtown. Most larger cities the downtown spreads out to 2-3 miles from the town center. In the70's when you would go south on Market St. and crossed Williamson Ave you were in the Uptown District, a great commericial area. Wouldn't be great to make the Mahoning Commons somewhat like the flats in Cleveland. If I took the bus to Federal Station and I walked across the Firefighters Memorial Bridge  and walked 3 blocks on Mahoning Ave. is it wrong to think that I am not still in downtown Y-town.

john r. swierz

Towntalk you are correct . Let me correct something from and earlier post . I went to Strouss' Music Shop, not McKelvey's Music Shop.

Towntalk

Rick, in days gone by they use to call it the "Tenderloin" or "Grinder" district. The Rescue Mission and Westlake districts are one in the same aren't they?

Rick Rowlands

Where is the Rescue Mission District?

Towntalk

Don't forget International Tower and YHA apartments in the old Hotel Ohio.

john r. swierz

If you use Freeway circle, all the dorms at YSU, Wood St apts.  Gutknect Towers, Westlake Terrace. Could be 2500 people.

jay

How many people live in the central business district definition of downtown?

How many people live within the "freeway circle" definition of downtown?

john r. swierz

Steve, I respectfully disagree and use my age as a reference.  First look at and overhead and see how the freeway circles a bigger area then the CBD area. The east end could have more business' built there but the city choose's not to go after retail. At one time Rayen, Wood, and Lincoln, and Mahoning Ave  had stores on it. Why is it wrong to say when you get off the freeway at Wick and head south that you are in the university district of  of downtown. Isn't Gutknect Towers in downtown, or the Public Library. When I went to music lessons I went downtown  to Mckelveys Music shop at Rayen and Wick. There is nothing wrong with  defining downtown as a bigger area then 4 streets . That is my opinion.

Lynds

really??!!! that's great! how do i find out what the actual terms and benefits are for being in the entertainment district?

john r. swierz

Also the  Entertainment district does not define the downtown district, only the ED  area

john r. swierz

Yes , as it currently stands. I believe that council can amend that area if they choose's to.

Lynds

The Downtown Entertainment District actually only extends to the B&O Station...I support them 100% though! what an exciting corridor!

john r. swierz

It is in downtown Youngstown, as is the medical mile district, the university district, and the Rescue Mission district