News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Zoning Question (TV Dish Location)

Started by jay, May 16, 2010, 08:24:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

john r. swierz

Sorry, no. I have had several conversations with Ray DeCarlo(ZI) on the Dish issue. I am going to check and see what other cities do in dealing with the dish issue. Maybe they can put a decorative fence around them.

AllanY2525

Steve,

LOL - thanks for scanning the photos.  I know you are a busy guy.

John - are satellite dishes considered "signs" under the local ordinances?
Just asking.

john r. swierz

I quess I identified the wrong funding source.  While zoning codes do deal with land use issues within that code is the Sign Code, which council updated last year. You can still be fined for not following the code, but it isn't done that often.

AllanY2525

One of the problems I have with the current building code is that
violations are considered criminal offenses - these should be civil
issues, not criminal ones.

To charge someone with a crime because their property has a
code violation is absolutely absurd - and should be challenged
in court until the laws are changed to eliminate this practice.

john r. swierz

The city recieved NSP1 monies that will be used to draft a new city zoning code. That may take a year to do.  I have been passing ordinances increasing the fees that the building division charges. We are the lowerest in the region. You are right. if we would fine people who break the law, we could hire more staff.
What we do now is give warnings and the don't go back to see if they are following the law.
On the Dish issue. I have been told that many times do to trees, that is the only place that they can be installed to get reception.

AllanY2525

If the city could start catching up on building inspections, maybe it could raise
more revenue - via the fines that can be levied against the offending property
owners for serious code violations.  Then it could afford to hire more building
inspectors - which would, in turn, catch more violations and generate more
revenue.

When my property on Woodbine is finished inside, I fully intend to call a final
inspection - and get a certificate of occupancy.  For home owners who live in
their property, I don't think that minor code violations should be a big deal
but for the owners of  occupied  rental properties they definitely should be kept
up to code  at all times.

I, personally, would not enjoy looking out my front window and seeing a
huge satellite dish in someone's front yard - but I would not turn them into the
housing inspector.... I'd probably just ask them (VERY nicely) if maybe they
could move the dish behind their house.  Ratting them out to the housing
inspector is just as bad as telling someone "You can't paint your house green
because I don't like the way it looks".

The satisfaction I would gain by using a building inspector to force  the neighbor
to move their dish would be only be trumped by the bad feelings it would create
between myself and the neighbor.

jay

I spotted another one of these TV dishes setting on top of a cement block at the front of someone's front yard.

iwasthere

Quote from: Rick Rowlands on May 16, 2010, 09:40:18 PM
Is it really worth bothering Mr. DeCarlo with this?  I think that perhaps you should keep out of other people's business and resist the urge to become a busybody.  If a zoning official sees this violation and issues a citation that is ok, but I do not want to become a community of snitches ratting out their neighbors.   If you live next door to this residence and the dish bothers you then yes you could complain, but if you are just driving (or walking, biking or however you get around, you seem to be everywhere) down the street just keep on going. 

Please don't visit my neighborhood.
i live in ytown and ytown is my entire business. call me a busybody, pita, snoop, snitch and other words. i can take it. i constantly snitch on my ytown neighbors to the proper authorities. i even snitch on them when i speak at council every 30 days. DeCarlo is the zoning inspector that is job to look into complaints. rr we the ytown residents are encourage to snitch on our neighbors by our city leaders attend any blockwatch meetings on any side of town or listen to MY MAYOR J on radio when he is the quest on the dan rivers talk radio show the first monday of every month.

Rick Rowlands

The point that I am making is that if you have a problem with someone violating an ordinance that has an effect on you, then by all means complain.  But to just walk down the street looking for things to turn in to the authorities is wrong.  "Tattle tale, snitch, rat" are some of the not so flattering words used to describe such a person.   Also, your reply John about the shorthandedness in the Zoning Dept. would seem to reinforce the notion of not bothering them unless its an issue that is causing harm to another citizen.  There is a big difference between a violation that causes harm to another citizen, and a violation that does not. 

If Jay wants to do some good he can turn in Mary's neighbor, keeping her hands clean and giving him something to do!   

Mary_Krupa

I have the exact same problem with my next door neighbor. They have had a hideous satellite dish on their front yard for about 3 years. I do not want to rat out my neighbors because I don't want to deal with their anger. I deal with plenty of city negativity already and I am burned out. Also, I don't see why I should have to because I pay taxes to have the ordinances enforced which they aren't. There is practically no city support. One zoning officer and maybe 2 housing inspectors. If the ordinances were enforced, believe me, we would have a tremendously significant lower amount of blight problems in this city.

All council members should be concerned with their own wards and also with the entire city.
Mary Krupa
"We the People..."

john r. swierz

Rick , for far too many years all departments have not kept up with enforcing the laws. Think about it, JUST ONE Zoning officer to cover 35 square miles. Do you think he could use some help.  (Example: I drive through the city and see a traffic signal not working, should I say "I'll let it go and someone from the Signal Shop will notice it"). How many business' start up and don't get a  occupancy permit.? How many people put up fences without getting  a permit. Get the picture.
People are doing whatever they want to regardless of the law.

Rick Rowlands

Is it really worth bothering Mr. DeCarlo with this?  I think that perhaps you should keep out of other people's business and resist the urge to become a busybody.  If a zoning official sees this violation and issues a citation that is ok, but I do not want to become a community of snitches ratting out their neighbors.   If you live next door to this residence and the dish bothers you then yes you could complain, but if you are just driving (or walking, biking or however you get around, you seem to be everywhere) down the street just keep on going. 

Please don't visit my neighborhood.

john r. swierz

Yes there is a zoning code dealing with this. Call Ray DeCarlo at 330 742 8840

jay

I noticed that a household in Youngstown recently installed a tv dish in the front yard.  The tv dish is located less than three feet from the front sidewalk and about four feet from the property line with the neighboring house.
It seems like a very odd location for the tv dish.
Are there any zoning codes that govern the location of this device?