News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Wendy Webb Resigns

Started by jay, May 12, 2010, 08:41:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AllanY2525

Quote from: iwasthere on May 25, 2010, 01:32:41 PM
Alan2525 what would be a measuring stick to kick out the useless teachers too? schools suspend stds but the schools call it ISS (in school suspension). the stds are in other part of the school separated from their peers the three R's are still being taught thus these problems stds are removed from their regular classes and classmates too.

A measuring stick would be a set of performance standards established by state experts,
regarding such aspects of performace as: attendance, academic lesson plans, the ability
to actively engage students and get/keep them interested in learning, adherence to the
best practices in the classroom, the ability to come up with new and innovative teaching
methods that will help students who are struggling with the curriculum, etc.

The very fact that the Youngstown City School District is in academic emergency means
that something is very, very wrong in the current system and how it is presently being
operated.  If the teachers are not able to get through to the students, then the problem
needs to be analyzed and broken down by certifiable experts in the field of education.
Perhaps experts who specialize in teaching students in urban environments, and a realistic,
attainable plan implemented to address all of the major issues - whatever they may be.

Someone once told me that learning is something that never stops - not even in a life time.
This should apply to educators as well.  There is always room for teachers to learn new
things, too.

I had teachers in high school who literally passed out crossword puzzles 60 seconds after
the bell rang and the students took their seats - and then promptly plopped down in their
chairs and began to read the morning paper, while drinking coffee.

If there are some students that are extremely disruptive, disrectful to the teachers,
students, or those who pose a risk to the safety and well being of any other individual in
the school (whether they are students, teachers, or other staff members)  then they
should be physically removed and barred from re-entering the premises - - not
just isolated in another room in the school and given a "timeout".

They need to understand that if they cannot or will not modify their behaviour, then they
simply will not be permitted to return to the school and will have to go elsewhere.  School
is not a daycare center for children with no respect for others and no desire to learn.  It
is a place where those who wish to learn, can.

iwasthere

Alan2525 what would be a measuring stick to kick out the useless teachers too? schools suspend stds but the schools call it ISS (in school suspension). the stds are in other part of the school separated from their peers the three R's are still being taught thus these problems stds are removed from their regular classes and classmates too.

Mary_Krupa

Now it looks like Wendy Webb and her team have pulled a fast one on the 7th Warders. They are proposing to make the new Wilson middle school a type of remedial school for underachievers rather than a middle school.  We just found out about this and they are saying that they informed the public.

At least 5 of us will be attending Tuesday's board meeting.

We have formed a neighborhood committee to deal with school issues such as this and to thoroughly explore the contract that is used with the superintendent as well as the evaluation document of the superintendent's performance.
Mary Krupa
"We the People..."

AllanY2525

Quote from: iwasthere on May 22, 2010, 11:38:07 AM
alan2525 my answer to that statement is, one must be in the classroom with these teachers before you can make this assumption. one is to quick to blame teachers for failing stds. education must be embraced in the homes of these failing stds. if not, the teachers have an uphill battle with these stds.

I'm not making any assumption here - I never said that all of the City's school teachers should
be fired -  just the ones that are not doing a good job educating the students  (ie: failing to
do their job as they should). 

I was never a "problem student" during my years at Rayen High School - and yet, we had teachers
who did nothing more than keep the seat of their chair warm while in the classroom - I witnessed
this first hand, as a student in those classrooms

If a particular class has a high failure rate amongst the students in it, then it only makes logical sense
to look at the teacher, send in an observer, and figure out where the problem lies.  If students are
disrupting classrooms - kick them out - so that the rest of the students can learn something.  If
the students have behavioral issues, then yes - their parent(s) are responsible for intervening.
Their education, in and of itself, is primarily the responsibility of the school and its teaching staff.
That is, afterall, why we send our kids to school - is it not?

Youngstown is in a state of academic emergency - you cannot blame all of this on the students
and/or their parents.  Someone needs to take a good, hard look at the teaching staff to see
who is doing a good job, who needs to make improvements in their job performance, and
who needs to go.

iwasthere

Quote from: AllanY2525 on May 21, 2010, 06:15:05 AM
Hmmm... sounds like they need more than just Wendy Webb
outta there.. how about all the teachers that are failing to
get through to their students and adequately educate them?
alan2525 my answer to that statement is, one must be in the classroom with these teachers before you can make this assumption. one is to quick to blame teachers for failing stds. education must be embraced in the homes of these failing stds. if not, the teachers have an uphill battle with these stds.

AllanY2525

Hmmm... sounds like they need more than just Wendy Webb
outta there.. how about all the teachers that are failing to
get through to their students and adequately educate them?

northside lurker

Quote from: AllanY2525 on May 17, 2010, 08:41:01 PM
Is the Youngstown City School District still on academic emergency
[probation?] status with the state?

Yes, both academic and fiscal emergency.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
--Thomas Edison

AllanY2525

Is the Youngstown City School District still on academic emergency
[probation?] status with the state?

iwasthere

when Wendy Webb hands in her resignation on December 31st, 2010 the entire board of education must hand in their resignation too. let the state of Ohio make all the final decisions for educating the youth.

northside lurker

Miss Webb spoke better than her predecessor, at least...
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
--Thomas Edison

ytowner

Quote from: Rick Rowlands on May 12, 2010, 01:08:05 PM
Thats great news.  Maybe the next superintendent will know how to speak proper English.
I will miss the glasses falling off the nose.... smh.

Rick Rowlands

Thats great news.  Maybe the next superintendent will know how to speak proper English.

ytowner

northside lurker

As some have commented on the Vindy website, she has been made the scapegoat for all of YCSD's problems.  And, while I think she deserves some of the blame, I don't think her departure will make much of a change.
--Thomas Edison

jay

The superintendent of the Youngstown city school system will retire at the end of this year.

How will her departure affect the Youngstown city school system?