News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Sad Commentary

Started by Towntalk, October 01, 2014, 06:41:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Towntalk

If I'm not mistaken, George went to Chaney High. He lived on the West Side. This is why it's so sad that West Siders haven't chimed in about his passing. The man is in the Coopertown  Base Ball Hall of Fame, and his passing was reported by newspapers around the world. He could have lived anywhere in the lap of luxury, but he chose to come back home, and while he lived in Austintown, he never forgot his roots. On the other hand, it appears that most Youngstowners forgot him.

Peggy Gurney

I'd never even heard of him til he died, TT.  Of course his family has my condolences, as does the family of every person who dies.

~ Normal is overrated ~

Towntalk

But where are the words of sympathy over his passing? Does anyone but me care? You'd think that given the fact that he was born and raised on the West Side would have prompted some of the West Siders to say something? I posted a tribute to him here, but got only one response so I deleated it because no one  cared.
If it's something negative there are a lot of responses, but not for Mr. Shuba, someone who has earned everyone's respect. Just ignore him?
People are outraged when people like Phil Kidd are put down ... He's an almighty hero ... a demigod, but men like George "Shotgun" Shuba are ignored when they pass.
No doubt the family is hearing from sports people from all parts of America, but we here in Youngstown, his hometown couldn't care less.

jay

A photo and story about Mr. Shuba appeared in a display in the International Building at the Canfield Fair this year and in past years.

Towntalk

A man who thousands of young people looked up to and wanted to emulate recently passed away, yet only one person here thought enough of him to pay tribute to him. He was a legend, he set standards that set him apart from all the rest. He was a man of strong faith, and a real credit to Youngstown and most especially to the West Side, yet not a single person thought enough of him to add a few words of sympathy at out loss.
George "Shotgun" Shuba was a true legend. A member of the Baseball Hall of Fame, the kind of person we all would have been proud to call friend and neighbor, but no one cared enough to say a kind word about him save one individual, and that is truely pathetic and doesn't speak well of us.