News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Councilmen At-Large

Started by jay, January 22, 2012, 08:46:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Towntalk

The byword that should be engraved in the mind of everyone seeking a seat on City Council should be:

NEVER EVER TAKE MY VOTE FOR GRANTED UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCE!

Rushblvd

I would like to see the records of council on getting things done in there area within 2 yrs..I bet its not that great..Not that I disagree with a 2-year term-just wondering what they are able to get done in that span..

jay

I do agree that councilmen should only be elected for a two year term.  I remember south side residents complaining about an unresponsive councilman who they were stuck with for four years.

Towntalk

Keep things the way they are. If all the councilmen were at-large you would have the potential of having several living on one side of town since At-Large councilmen do not have to live in the ward they represent. Would you want half the Council living on the South Side and half on the North Side and zero on the West Side?

Cut them back to TWO YEAR terms and KEEP THEIR FEET TO THE FIRE. Also include TERM LIMITATIONS ... TWO TERMS AND YOU'RE OUT ON YOUR EAR.

DOWN WITH CAREER CITY COUNCILMEN!!!  >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

jay

All of the councilmen in Columbus, Ohio are elected at-large.  There is currently a citizens' initiative to place an issue on the Columbus ballot to have all councilmen elected by districts.

In Youngstown, should we continue electing council members by districts, elect them at-large, or have a combination of both district and at-large councilmen?