News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Lowellville Dam

Started by Towntalk, April 25, 2013, 10:38:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rick Rowlands

I would love to be able to boat all the way up and down the Mahoning River.  It would certainly open up some possibilities for additional recreation.  But the dams limit that ability somewhat.

iwasthere

why?town i agree with you but the lowellville city officials went to joe schivonne to plead their case for funding. why the warren city officials did not go to capri cafaro to seek funds for the same projects, escapes me. he who waits loses out on life's opportunities.

sfc_oliver

I think they are talking about sediment built up behind the dams. But regardless, yes....If it serves little or no purpose today, i suppose. I've seen some really nice built up areas around the country where cities have built riverwalks and such which drew a lot of Business in. Augusta Georgia even has an open air theater. A lot can be done but The only advantage i see in taking out the dams is waiting another 30 years for the river to clean itself again.

But I'm far from any kind of expert....
<<<)) Sergeant First Class,  US Army, Retired((>>>

Why?Town

If they want to clean up the river and remove the sediment in front of the dams and possibly the dams themselves, wouldn't it make more sense  to start with the first dam in Warren and work downstream from there?

sfc_oliver

I'm not so sure. Remove the damns and then what? Some of the best fishing is near those damns that will be gone. There is no mention of the smaller dam that so many don't even see off the other side of the bridge. Most areas right below those damns you can wade across already, Is someone going to build up a river walk?

So many questions.....
<<<)) Sergeant First Class,  US Army, Retired((>>>

Towntalk

EPA Official Tours Lowellville Dam         http://www.wkbn.com/2013/04/25/8114/