News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Where is the location?

Started by Towntalk, September 18, 2011, 08:04:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Towntalk

Lets see...in 1942 I was 4 years old, and America was in a two front war,  All over town families were flying the American flag, and in windows up and down the street were hung the little banner indicating that a member of that household was in a branch of the armed forces, and for many, the blue star would be replaced by a gold star before 1945.

Inspired by the words of our President, young boys and girls scurried around the neighborhood gathering up paper for the paper drive, while the adults helped with other scrap drives.

Our Sunday dinners consisted of vegetables out of our Victory Garden that Dad and my Grandmother cared for like it was gold and the inevitable Spam.

On Saturday afternoons we would go to the movies as anxious to see the newsreel as we were the feature film and cartoon.

Now here I sit over 60 years later looking back those years listening to hours of WWII news recalling just how united we all were, certainly a much different time.

kenneyjoe330

>:( DAM  >:( DAM  >:( DAM - You know THEY SAY when taking a test to always go with your first instink ? ! ! !  Bridge Street and Wilson Avenue came to mind immediately - I was correct and didn't put it out here.  No wonder you didn't get it sfc_oliver - the intersection has changed so much about 20 ? or more years ago.  I can remember the two buildings and how close the intersection was to the tracks.  That car could have been mine at an angle waiting for the train to go by.  The fancy light colored building on the left was the first to go but the dark one on the right remained there almost until they built the new intersection and bridge - am I right ?  The "hill" itself doesn't seem as steep as I remember but then again the new intersection was built up much much higher than the old to get over those tracks.
We still have the same county engineer.  I remember him bragging about the bridge and I told him why I DID NOT LIKE IT.  It is only a TWO LANE BRIDGE - I said they built two lane bridges in the horse and buggy days - it should have been wider
THANKS Towntalk - I enjoyed that and next time I will speak up  :laugh:

sfc_oliver

Went right through there last night on my way home from the county United Veterans Council meeting.
Wasn't thinking about the web at the time............
<<<)) Sergeant First Class,  US Army, Retired((>>>

Towntalk

Dennis should have gotten this one. It is Bridge Street in Struthers in the 1940's.

Towntalk

Clue: This picture was taken in 1942 ... 69 years ago.

Towntalk

sfc_oliver

Corner of Third St and Liberty in Lowellville............?
<<<)) Sergeant First Class,  US Army, Retired((>>>

Towntalk

Nope ... it's not in Youngstown.

Clue: The tracks are B&O RR tracks.

jay

Towntalk

Clue: The picture was taken in 1942.