News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

A Great Idea

Started by kitten44505, April 20, 2005, 10:15:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kitten44505

Nathan:

My schedule is so heavily booked that I don't get out much, but here is an outline of what I have in mind:

1. The intersection at West Federal and Chestnut would be designated Warner Square.

2. At the South-west corner where the parking lot will go, there would be a perminant monument to the Warner brothers.

3. On the sidewalk around the monument would be a series of bronze stars honoring Youngstowners who made it big in show business imbedded in the sidewalk.

4. The Monument would have two sides with one containing the Warner Brothers Logo and pictures of the Warner brothers. On the other side would be the inscription: "Youngstown, Ohio, the home of the founders of Warner Brothers Studios," and a brief history.

5. There would also be a committee established who would oversee the monument and name new candidates for a star on the Walk of Fame. This committee would be a part of the Arts Council.

6. Each year, arrangements would be made for a Film Festival at Powers Auditorium followed by an awards dinner honoring locals who have made a contribution to the arts, whether stage, screen or television.

7. In time, given support from the business community, a scolarship fund could be set up for students seeking to enter the film industry.

Nathan Pavalko

I recently emailed Jeff Chagnot, the city's director of economic development, and suggested the idea. If nothing comes to it in the next week or so I'm going to try and go downtown and talk to Claire Maluso the director of the the economic deve;opment office. If anyone is interested in comming with me downtown to talk to her, let me know

kitten44505

I'm saddened at the fact that none of the candidates for Mayor have commented on this idea.

It wouldn't take any time at all to pass the necessary legislation, and I'm sure that the Arts Council would jump at the chance to take on the project if only the Mayor and Council would step up to the plate and do their part.

kitten44505

What about the sidewalk where the Masters Block will be torn down? A perminant walk of fame could also fit there.

The land will be a parking lot, and if it was landscaped, a brick walkway coupled by perminant plaques of Youngstowners who made good in show business would be a perfect fit.

I can see it now ...

If it followed the style of the Hollywood walk of fame it would be really sharp, especially coupled with a landscaped parking lot, and a couple of park benches.

It should not be cheesey and cheap, but a really good setup that we could all be proud of.

ForumManager

I could be wrong, but I believe that the Symphony Society already has plans for a  brick purchase fund raiser after the new addition is complete

kitten44505

Unfortunately the Liberty Theater Building is beyond restoration. It would be cheaper to build a brand new theater than it would take to restore the Paramount. Did you see the photos of the interior?

As to the bricks idea I like it.

Personally though reagarding the Paramount, I wish that the city would once and for all demolish the building and use the space for something like a outdoor cafe to make uo for the loss of the Plaza. It could take on a mini park atmosphere.

The Paramount is so deteriorated that unless something is done, someone is going to be seriously injured or even killed in there.

There are several sites that have shots of the inside, Go to Cinema Treasures, and at their search engine type in Paramount Theater and click on the entry that says Youngstown at the location line.

MasterNAte2003

Liberty theater that is, sorry about the mis-spell

Nathan Pavalko

How viable do you think it would be to get the walk-of-fame though? I was thinking maybe it could be a good fundraising oppertunity for the symphony. they could install the big name starts and then have people buy bricks or pavers or whole starts along the sidewalk. Fellows Riverside gardens did somthing similar when they were raising money for their new visitors center. Also, this could be a good possibility in reviving the old Paramount (Liveryty) theater in downtrown. I would love to see that brought back as an actual movie theater. Tell me what you think of that idea? If we could/should bring it to city counsil or the CIC's attention.

kitten44505

It only takes action by City Council to get the name change as when they changed the name of Federal Street west from Belmont Avenue to Martin Luther King Blvd.

In the case I am advocating, I am simply talking about naming an intersection, so it could be done in a very short time and would not otherwise affect the rest of Federal Street.

Three readings and the Mayor's signiture.

Heck, the whole thing could be done in a single sssion of Council. Move the first reading - vote; move second readong - vote; move third reading - vote and sign. If Council was smart they could even use the Proclamation route that would take even less time.

Nathan Pavalko

That is a great Idea. The Youngstown 2010 class I have mentioned is taught/run by Hunter Morrison, Director of Urban Planning at YSU. He is good friends with Clarie Malluso (spelling?) who is responsible for the lighting of downtown. I'm sure I could at least pitch the idea of the the "walk of fame" and bringing the festivil here. The name change may not be as easy, but we can at least try. This is a great idea, and I'll try to contact some people.

kitten44505

What if we were to get City Council to rename the corner of Federal and Chestnut Warner Square.

If the corner of South Chestnut and Boaedman can be called Vindicator Square, we at least could rename the intersection of Federal and Chestnut after the Warner family, and besides, by bringing the family here for the cerimony, we could take the first step toward giving them their rightful place in Youngstown's history.

The next step would be a Walk of Stars with perminent markers honoring those from Youngstown who made good in show business, and the perfect place for it would be in front of Powers Auditorium.

Something like the sidewalk in Hollywood where they honor show people.