News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Streaming Internet Audio for local radio stations

Started by AllanY2525, March 26, 2005, 03:38:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ytowner

Here's a show that air's everynight from 6-7. ANSWERS ALL EMAILS.

www.mooheadradio.com

ForumManager

Here's a local internet talk radio station from North Lima.  airs Wednesday evenings

http://ryanhull.com/

ForumManager

When did you try to do it?  I had it off for awhile to work.

I saw the embedded player on your site
WAY COOL!

I've accessed it with real player, windows media, winamp, and music match jukebox.  The files are encoded into in mp3 format.  The first playlist was just a CD that winamp was encoding to mp3 - no wonder it's a system hog!

I don't have it on all the time since I can't get work done.  It slows my computer to a crawl.  Maybe if I upgrade my system I will put it on full time.

UPDATE-- took it off for now -- too much drag

AllanY2525

I can't get RealPlayer to play your audio stream...it
says that data is corrupted or unreadable.  Do you need
Windows Media Player to play this stream?

The YTownHistoricHomesBldgs Annex website now has an
embedded Reaplayer that plays streaming audio from
radio stations on the Net (including WYSU FM).  If
you are going to keep your streaming feed up, I can
add it to the list of Internet Radio Stations that
I built into the JavaScript shell I built for my
"Radio Player" on the website.

THe URL is http://youngstownphotos.orgfree.com

To try out the embedded radio player, just click on
the picture of the antique radio on the main page.

Allan
:)

ForumManager

All of the tracks were from Mendelssohn's Elijah,
That one is 'He that shall endure to the end.'  
It is used quite often as a hymn in church services.
Had everything cranked full blast --probably more tweaks I can try.  She just isn't up to all of this.  I though I'd never have a reason to want to have more power...have anough to get my work done even gaphics, but not to power a broadcast server and work!

yfdgricker

Your live feed works great. It's a little too quiet though, turn up your mixer record volume in Windows one or two notches. I had to crank my speaker to hear it. You are getting an occasional rebuffer but that might be because your PC is geriatric.

As for picking my brain, you are more than welcome to root whatever others have left behind in the future. :)

BTW, which recording was track 13?

ForumManager

I decided I wasn't going to let a little thing like an uncooperative router beat me.  

If yfdgricker says it can be done...it can be done.

I spent yesterday evening researching the whys and found out my router has a known problem and also found the fix for the problem!

Right now I am broadcasting via the shoutcast network.
Can't believe i!

It is a BIG drag on ol' bessy here though and I don't know if I will keep it running.  Runs much better from my son's athlon XP  but I don't think he wants to put up with my music all the time!

Here's the direct broadcast address.
http://ytownpc.gotdns.com:8000/listen.pls

If anyone gets a chance,let me know if you can hear it -- I've only tried it from the computers here.  I kept the bit rate low but with stereo so it would load ok for dial up folks.

YIPPEE!

Matt Schwartz

I think the reasoning is behind the commercials... Dave an engineer from Cumulus explained it to me once, but I sure could not explain it now...

I can also remember sometime in the mid 90's that HOT101 did stream everything over hot101.com - once again, there is some sort of liability that has to do with the commercials.

Since regular radio survives by commercials, I wouldn't expect it to stream any time soon.

Even the Satellite Radio channels that have commercials are not streamed through Sirius or XM - only their music (non-commercial) channels.

ForumManager

QuoteClassical music falls into the open use policy as well I believe.

Classical music is not always fair game.  
The music needs to be in the public domain.  Some classical is in the public domain and you can PERFORM it freely.  
Technically you are subject to pay any composer for rights to perform their music.  Sometimes if the composer is long dead, another company has acquired those rights.  Many sheet music publishers took over the rights to dead composers' pieces.  

Note - if the Ytown Symphony records/produces a piece in the public domain and you broadcast it, you are technically  subject to pay the YSS royalties.  The whole copyright thing with all of its in and outs is very confusing and is the subject of much controversy.

I think the point could be argued that if you are not selling ads and making a proft from your broadcast then you shouldn't be subject to royalty payment.  But then again with technology being what it is today, what is to keep someone from ripping the broadcast and selling the recording?

An affiliate of Ytown Symphony called the Women's Committee for Children's Concerts distributes a study guide each year to go along with the children's concerts.  I work on the guide. The guide is distributed FREELY to all schools that request it - about 400 copies go out each year.  It is very comprehensive and is accompanied by a CD of the concert music with commentary. It can be very difficult to get the 'OK' to compile some of the recordings. It was planned to put the written guide online this year but all of the sheet music excerpts (just little snippets to help music teachers) were advised  to be removed for online publication.  The guide is still not online as of today.

It gets ridiculous.  There is a lot of abuse out there, and people are losing money  but sometimes the rules need to be bent a little...expecially in the case of educational materials and non profit broadcasts and performances.

ForumManager

Not to turn this into a technical support forum - BUT -

I tried shoutcast and couldn't get past my router or perhaps it was my ISP. Do you have a dedicated IP?
Everything I tried didn't work.
Tried port forwarding, DMZ etc.
Also  tried icecast, oddcast.
I read  evey document I could find.
I didn't investigate the issue  for more than a day or two -- might have found a work around but not enough time to devote to it.

I was able to set up broadcasts on live 365 as it was done by uploading  mp3s directly to their server with  a playlist...so it wasn't streaming for my computer - it was recorded and they were hosting the files which made the connection issue not an issue.  They charge now - not willing to pay.

If I want to do try it again in the future, can I pick your brain?

yfdgricker

Shoutcast is still free if your interested in streaming audio. (http://www.shoutcast.com/). I use it to stream the youngstownfire.com Live! audio (http://www.youngstownfire.com/live). The nice thing about Shoutcast is that you stream the audio to their server and the listeners connect to their server. So if they have 100 listeners at 1 time, it's their server taking the hit not your internet connection and your machine.

Windows Media Encoder from Microsoft (http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/9series/encoder/default.aspx) is also a free alternative if you want to stream your own audio. Unlike Shoutcast, each user listening to your feed is taking a little of the available bandwidth up. The more users, the more resources are used.

I've also been experimenting with TeamSpeak2 (http://www.goteamspeak.com/news.php). Although, I don't think TeamSpeak is quite right for a streaming radio station right now. They are difficult to set up and run.

In my opinion, having had success with setting up streaming  feeds, stations wouldn't need to invest too much money into streaming their audio if they wanted to. You can stream any type of live feed with a Zoom Internet or Time Warner Road Runner connection, a low end PC and a cheap radio set to their station.

What I don't know about is how the copyright laws would affect streaming music or syndicated shows. Local talk radio wouldn't be much of an issue. Classical music falls into the open use policy as well I believe. I remember CD106 (now NCD93.3) having a live feed and they would have to take the feed offline in the mornings when they would air the nationally syndicated Bob and Tom morning show.

ForumManager

The laws are a bit different for internet broadcasts and the artists are now asking for extra compensation.  Internet audio can be out of line with small radio station budgets.

Local 'talk' radio would not be infringing upon copyright laws.

To broadcast online, a station would need to get appropriate software, sometimes more powerful hardware and pay for a dedicated IP and streaming server or a subscription to one of the streaming hosts online.

Probably a matter of money in many cases.

Used to be you could braodacast freely on Live 365.  I was planning to start a station for this site.  Live 365 ran into problems and had to start charging for the service as they were affected by the new regulations and had to pay big bucks for the right to host broadcasts.

AllanY2525

QuoteThere are reasons for not streaming -- copyright laws and such.  I'm not well versed on it.

WYSU-FM streams their content

I don't think the copyright laws are going to get any
of Youngstown's radio stations into trouble as far as
streaming their broadcasts over the internet, after all
they already have license to distribute via public
air waves.... we're talking about the same content
that someone could tune in on their radio and record
to a tape, minidisk, CD, MP3 player, etc, etc ,etc.

Lot's of radio stations already stream their content over
the internet - I still think it would be a great idea for
Youngstown to do it.  After all, they could bring in
advertising revenues from markets OUTSIDE the local
area - IF they could show potential advertisers that
they reach beyone the local area with streaming audio
broadcasts.  As a veteran of the I.T. industry for
over sixteen years, I can tell you that it works,
and it works WELL.

Something to think about.......

ForumManager

There are reasons for not streaming -- copyright laws and such.  I'm not well versed on it.

WYSU-FM streams their content

jay

The Youngstown area does have one talk radio show streaming over the internet.

The Show is "The New Talk Of The Town."
WANR, 1570-AM, in Warren, Ohio
Monday through Friday, noon to 3:00 p.m.
The call in phone numbers are 330-394-7033 and
866-394-1570 (toll free).

To listen over the internet, go to the show's website
http://www.thenewtalkofthetown.com
 and click on "Listen Live."

Try calling the show from your city.