News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Network Solutions Provider eyeing downtown location

Started by AllanY2525, December 18, 2013, 01:57:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Towntalk

Billy, it may be Christmas ... a time for peace and joy, but when you say that anyone would support taxing people 100% ... that is a flat out lie and you know it. No one has ever suggested that the government tax us 100% ever in the whole history of our country, nor could they ever so I suggest that you sit back and ponder your words before you post such utter nonsense.
Would it make you happy if the government tax business 100% and individuals 0%? I think you would ... you would also be overjoyed if these businesses supplied you with all your needs at no cost to you, and this my friend will never happen.
Think about this for a second ...

Billy Mumphrey

The fact that we would support taxing individuals 100% and not corporations is sad. What would Pope Francis think?

AllanY2525

Quote from: Billy Mumphrey on December 20, 2013, 06:40:08 AM
Yup, let's cut taxes to corporations who can afford to pay them. So how does the state make up for lost taxes? Oh, let's raise the sales tax or income taxes on employees who can't afford it. It's time we close tax loopholes for corporations.

Billy,

Your argument has no merit - someone  making 55K a year working I.T. is already paying more taxes
because of HOW MUCH they make, versus the median income (24K/year) jobs - WITHOUT
any increases in the tax rates - state OR local.

Think about it.......there is still a net GAIN in tax revenues...ie: The local and state governments will
still be receiving revenues that they otherwise would not have AT ALL without these new positions,
because these will be new jobs that did not exist before.

As far as renter versus owner, riddle me this:

If I were one these new employees with a salary in this range, why the HELL would I want to
rent in an area where one can buy a home for less than the cost of most new SUV's (trucks)?

My 2003 Ford Expedition cost me more than my property on Illinois Ave - a property in
decent condition and city-licensed, inspected.

Towntalk

Billy also makes assumptions that can not be supported by sound facts concerning the 300 new jobs by saying that they would be renters as opposed to home owners. Hypothetical assumptions are simply unsupportable in fact as well as theory. Recently the president of the Board of Realtors reported that the sale of homes is up in Mahoning County ... way up ... and the 300 would be making the level of income that would allow them to purchase a home.
All this said, until Network Solutions Provider is up and running, we can not make assumptions because when the word is broken down, you know what the result is.

Youngstownshrimp

Youngstownshrimp

I Like observing Billy, he is the specimen of the American responsible for economic collapse of America  ;D   and Jay is the other experiment.
It is called "spoiled mental state."  You do not have to be rich for this desease to pummel you, just spoiled from the generation that had it all.  This impairment affects the entitled in America, the parasites.  The Americans who have everything given to them for their meager existence.  You show me a liberal and I will show you one inflicted by this desease.

Rick Rowlands

That is a problem with the state not enforcing their own policies.

Billy Mumphrey

Forty-five percent of the companies and municipalities that received state assistance for development projects failed to live up to their promises such as creating and retaining jobs, training workers or investing in equipment, according to an annual report released Thursday by Ohio Attorney General Mike DeWine.

Read more about it here at http://bit.ly/19dy3sD

northside lurker

Quote from: Rick Rowlands on December 20, 2013, 12:07:42 AM
Lets get this misconception out of the way.  Renters DO NOT pay property taxes!  They pay RENT!  It is up to the landlord to decide what to spend that rent payment on, and the landlord could choose not to pay property taxes on his rental properties.  A renter cannot stand up in court and make the case that his home should not be foreclosed on because he was paying property taxes all along as part of his rent.  Judge Milich would laugh him out of court! 

That's why I said indirectly.  If renters vote in favor of a school levy, for example, and the property taxes on the property they rent goes up, you don't think the landlord (assuming they do their duty and pay their property taxes like Allan said) will raise their rent to cover the additional taxes?

Quote from: Billy Mumphrey on December 20, 2013, 06:40:08 AM
Yup, let's cut taxes to corporations who can afford to pay them. So how does the state make up for lost taxes? Oh, let's raise the sales tax or income taxes on employees who can't afford it. It's time we close tax loopholes for corporations.

This varies, depending on the circumstances.  In the case of this company getting a tax break, there are no lost taxes, because the company would be opening new facilities here.  But, if a company that's already present gets tax abatements to move to a neighboring community, then there are indeed lost taxes.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
--Thomas Edison

Billy Mumphrey

AllanY2525

I will not oppose tax abatements that bring good paying jobs to
the area.  The benefits far outweigh the abatements.  Don't forget
that this business will very likely spend money with other related
businesses in the area as well.

The average median income in Youngstown is about $24K per year.

The average I.T. job pays $50k to $55k per year.  Do the math.

There is always a ripple effect.  As more tech jobs come to the area,
rents will eventually go up - and hopefully landlords will pay their
property taxes like they should.  Rick is absolutely right - tenants
pay nothing towards property taxes - that is the landlord's duty.

If there were enough good paying jobs in the county, maybe they
could re-assess property values and raise the property taxes a
little.

My property taxes on my residence in MD are almost TEN TIMES what
they are for my property on Illinois Ave - for a house HALF THE SIZE.
That sits on a lot ONE FOURTH the size.

Rick Rowlands

Lets get this misconception out of the way.  Renters DO NOT pay property taxes!  They pay RENT!  It is up to the landlord to decide what to spend that rent payment on, and the landlord could choose not to pay property taxes on his rental properties.  A renter cannot stand up in court and make the case that his home should not be foreclosed on because he was paying property taxes all along as part of his rent.  Judge Milich would laugh him out of court! 

Tax subsidies are a fact of life these days as cities compete with each other for the scraps of capitalism that still exist in this country.  I will not oppose any action taken to reduce a tax burden, even if it unevenly applied as abatements are. 

northside lurker

Until they are outlawed everywhere, (which I don't think it likely) I'm OK with continuing to give tax breaks as incentives for a business to locate somewhere.  A community that refuses to offer these incentives may gain a little extra respect, but will ultimately lose out, financially.

And for the record, renters also pay property taxes; just indirectly.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
--Thomas Edison

Towntalk

Yes to taking the job or yes to refusing the job?  ???