News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Downtown Hotel Coming

Started by Towntalk, March 06, 2013, 05:43:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Towntalk

:-*  So far as Italian food is concerned, it's among the best ... better in many ways than French ... provided that it's prepared in the classic Italian manner. But I have failed to find any local Italian restaurant that prepared their sauces in a true classic Italian manner. A first generation Italian lady friend of my mother's taught her how to make classic Italian pasta sauce, and it was to die for.  :)

northside lurker

I once had a sip of some $300/bottle wine, and I wasn't at all impressed.  It was extremely dry; it smelled like rubbing alcohol, and tasted just as bad. (but I don't like wine, anyway)

Also, while in Italy, I've had very memorable meals with friends in both Rome, and Urbino.  The food served was a lot more like what is served at Roberto's than some haute couture restaurant.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
--Thomas Edison

Towntalk

No and no ... my blueblood tastes run towards super fine dining as opposed to working mans grub ... call me a snob ... but if I'm gonna dine out the least I would consider is lobster thermadore, the very finest beef, and fine vintage wine from France.

iwasthere

Quote from: ytowner on March 11, 2013, 09:35:30 PM
Dooney's days are numbered.... You heard it here first. Some folks. Remaining nameless, have no idea how to run a business. Something much better will move in there at some point. That location has so much going for it.
would it be one of the owners's fault due to his tomfoolery?

iwasthere

tt have you ate at roberto's or cafe cimmento's? these restaurants are more then a sandwich and a glass of milk jts. mike symn and his wife do ran top notch upper crust rests. but i bet the rests. in mah valley can give mike a ran for his money. i think mike works at outdoor rest. during the summer in cl.

ytowner

Dooney's days are numbered.... You heard it here first. Some folks. Remaining nameless, have no idea how to run a business. Something much better will move in there at some point. That location has so much going for it.

Towntalk

Let me put it this way my friend ... have you ever eaten in the finest restaurants in New York or Los Vegas?

Have you ever had a meal prepared by a world class chef?

One such chef is based in Cleveland ... Michael Symon ... an Iron Chef with a world class reputation.

Each year, my friends go up to Cleveland to take in a concert and dine in one of his restaurants.

http://lolabistro.com/

northside lurker

The executive chef from the Youngstown Club became part owner of Dooney's.

I don't watch Iron Chef, so have no idea what you're looking for.  But calling most downtown places "glorified sandwich shops" is an over-generalization, IMO.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
--Thomas Edison

Towntalk

Most of the businesses in my hometown's downtown are locally owned, including the downtown movie palace.

As to here, Silvers has been downtown forever so to speak. I want to see a wide variety of retail stores ...

As to restaurants, as you well know I'm very snooty as to where I tie on the feed bag. They have to have a menu that would be spotlighted on Iron Chef America. As far as I know, most of the restaurants downtown are glorified sandwitch shops, and that just doesn't cut it. Shoot, I can duplicate most of their meals right here at home at half the price.

By the way when I refer to "fly infested greasy spoon" for those who may be new here, I'm refering to any restaurant that doesn't serve high class meals in an up market atmosphere, and unfortunately the only one we had in downtown Youngstown closed recently, but I hear that the chef from that restaurant is planning to open up another class act restaurant downtown, so there is hope.

northside lurker

First, let me apoligize for pulling another thread off-topic.  A hotel opening downtown is, indeed, great news!

QuoteSmall upstart businesses for one.

We already have some of that.  Some newer than others. (Silvers Vogue Shop, The Connection, Two Guy/Girls Clothes, etc.)

QuoteIf a small town of 9000 souls can maintain a thriving central business district
complete with retail stores...

The key word there is "maintain."  My hometown of Massillon had a traditional JC Penny's dept. store until the late 90's.  But now, even though the downtown has since really turned around, they (Penny's, or any other retailers) haven't come back.

QuoteI for one am sick and tired of the thinking that all that will ever come
downtown are fly infested greasy spoon restaurants.

Who thinks that?  I like greasy spoon restaurants. (you can keep the flies, though)  I liked the Hub, until the quality of the food started to decline.  I think that would be a perfect place for an Edward Hopper Nighthawks style diner.  The only other place that I can think of, that I'd consider a greasy spoon, would be the Draught House, and I don't venture in there often, because it has more of a bar atmosphere.
--Thomas Edison

Towntalk

Small upstart businesses for one. It will take time but don't count it out. Remember there was a time when people said that the downtown area was dead, and would never come back, yet look at it today. Tell me that the downtown area is dead ... that nothing nor anyone would make an investment in downtown Youngstown. That it was and always be a hopeless task. A fools venture.

If a small town of 9000 souls can maintain a thriving central business district complete with retail stores in spite of a regional mall why can't Youngstown see a growth of small shops come downtown. Remember one thing most large stores got their start as Mom and Pop stores. They did it through hard work on their part. They didn't get it handed to them by grants.

I for one am sick and tired of the thinking that all that will ever come downtown are fly infested greasy spoon restaurants.

What is needed is a downtown board of trade with fire in it's belly that will do the job.

I'm also sick and tired of the thought process that says the only answer for downtown rests with the arts community.

It wasn't the arts community that brought three highrise apartment complexes downtown. It isn't the arts community that is planning a hotel for downtown.

northside lurker

What cities have seen new retail move into their downtowns?  I won't hold my breath, as long as Southern Park Mall, Eastwood Mall, etc. remain in business.
--Thomas Edison

ytowner

I'll let you know what, in terms of interest, Naffah has with the hotel. I know him and he is close with members of my family. Naturally I will keep most of what I know hush hush until something is official.

Towntalk

This isn't official but Naffah has a working relation with Hampton Inn and if they become involved, the hotel would be quality and would be a real boost for downtown Youngstown. If a national company was interested in making a major investment in downtown Youngstown that would send signals to other national companies to come in, especially retail businesses.

ytown is exactly right, this project is crucial for Youngstown.

Just how it would affect YSU is hard to say, but if our city dads don't try to micromanage it, but give it their full support, we might see the downtown once again be a busy area with a great mix of retail and entertainment businesses.