News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

A Green Party Governor Would Support the OEC

Started by irishbobcat, September 15, 2010, 08:12:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

irishbobcat

Thanks Rick.....

At least we agree on one thing....

Rick Rowlands

I will agree with you on this issue.  Ohio should not be other states' dumping ground.

irishbobcat

A Green Party Governor Would Support the OEC

As Governor of Ohio, I would work with the Ohio Environmental Council and put a stop to dumping of construction material into Ohio's groundwater.

From the OEC:

Waste from construction and demolition sites are routinely dumped into Ohio's landfills. The construction and demolition debris (CDD) industry has long contended that this waste is inert and poses no risk to groundwater or the environment.

Yet last year, Ohio EPA released study results on Ohio's CDD landfills, concluding that liquid waste from CDD landfills "poses a threat to public health and the environment if released to groundwater or surface water." 

New reports released by the Ohio Environmental Protection Agency (OEPA) have resulted in a combined effort across the state involving many environmental organizations and Ohio citizens to urge Governor Strickland to issue a moratorium regarding Construction & Demolition Debris (C&DD) landfill facilities.  The moratorium would halt additional construction and expansion of C&DD facilities until the Ohio Revised Code and Administrative Rules can be altered in order to provide protection from the reported dangers of C&DD landfill toxins to underground bodies of water.

Many other states require the same safety regulations for C&DD facilities as for Solid Municipal Waste (SMW) facilities.  Ohio's requirements for C&DD are vastly inferior to SMW requirements resulting in hazard to Ohio's environment and to the health of Ohio's citizens.  The OEPA reports document the need for more protection in Ohio.

===================================================

I urge Ted Strickland  to issue a statewide moratorium on dumping construction and demolition waste in Ohio's CDD landfills.Our health, and the health of my community, depend on it!

Ted Strickland won't because he is not a "green Governor", but I will!

Dennis Spisak-Green Party candidate for Governor

www.votespisak.org/governor/

for more info: contact 330-503-1407