News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

food/toy Safety

Started by irishbobcat, August 24, 2008, 08:10:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

irishbobcat

Election Issues-Food Safety/ Toy Safety

August 25, 2008

I have been asked if elected to Congress what my stand would be on food and toy safety:

I support family-scale farms, diversified, sustainable agriculture that emphasizes organic growing methods.

As far as toy safety goes, I sent letters to Congress urging them to get the lead out of toys and strengthen the frayed product safety net. I signed onto petitions. I e-mailed the toy companies. I gave us the resources we needed to run ads in major newspapers urging action for safer toys.

All of my actions add up to the biggest overhaul of the Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) since it was established in 1973. In addition to its massive increase in CPSC resources and funding, and its increase in civil penalty and recall authorities, the new law will:

-Make toy regulations mandatory, which means that magnets and many other hazards will be subject to the new law's centerpiece third-party testing requirement;
-Ban six toxic phthalates in children's products. Three are banned permanently. Three would then be subject to a CPSC scientific review, but are banned until it is completed.
-Grant private-sector employees protection as whistleblowers.
-Establish a public database of potential hazards.
-Require that choking hazards be disclosed in Internet advertising.

WRITE-IN
DENNIS SPISAK FOR CONGRESS
Green Party Candidate for Ohio's 6th District
The ONLY PROGRESSIVE CANDIDATE
Running against a Conservative Democrat and Republican!

Renewable Energy Green/Blue Collars Jobs
Single-Payer Affordable Healthcare
Economic Fairness/Quality Education
Clear and Fair Elections with Paper Ballots

Campaign site: Http://votespisak.org/electspisak.tripod.com