News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Federal Census Junk

Started by jay, February 12, 2010, 06:32:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sfc_oliver

Not too many years ago CALEX was the largest employer in Campbell, they sold out to Profab who sold out to Holtec. And Holtec Laid off from the top payed workers down.  I don't know if they had no customers or if the rumors about the cost of natural gas is the reason. I do know that neither Profab or Holtec fired up the remelt sections of the plant. At any rate I believe they are still running one press for one shift but we have heard that they are selling off bits and pieces of equipment.
<<<)) Sergeant First Class,  US Army, Retired((>>>

Why?Town

Jay,

I don't 100% know where the aluminum extrusion jobs went but I'm pretty sure they're beyond our country's borders.

Youngstownshrimp

So what do we do about it?

Type and talk.

jay

Why?Town

I also remember hearing that the Mahoning Valley was a large producer of aluminum extrusions.  What happened to that industry?  Did it move to other parts of the U.S. or did it move overseas?

sfc_oliver

Quote from: Why?Town on February 12, 2010, 09:30:12 AM
The major part of that key ring, the house shape, is an aluminum extrusion.

Many years ago (30 to 40? 50 maybe? )the Mahoning Valley had more aluminum extrusion companies per capita than any other location on earth.

Today, myself and 180 others are currently laid off from one of the few remaining local aluminum extruders. Most of us permanently, as the machines have been sold.

So true, my son is one of those unfortunates.
<<<)) Sergeant First Class,  US Army, Retired((>>>

Why?Town

The major part of that key ring, the house shape, is an aluminum extrusion.

Many years ago (30 to 40? 50 maybe? )the Mahoning Valley had more aluminum extrusion companies per capita than any other location on earth.

Today, myself and 180 others are currently laid off from one of the few remaining local aluminum extruders. Most of us permanently, as the machines have been sold.

Towntalk

;) That's criminal ... we should all file a law suit in Federal Court ... imagine using our tax dollars to buy cheap key rings to pass out as promotionals that were made in China, then giving them away free. As I said that's criminal.  :D

jay

The Census Bureau held a press conference at 20 Federal Place on Thursday, February 11.  The event was a kick-off for the census in the Mahoning Valley. 

As part of the festivities, a few promotional items were given to the public.  Among these were a plastic water bottle and plastic cup, both of which were Made In U.S.A.  A key ring, however, was not made in the U.S.A.

House Shaped Key Ring

Key Ring's Country Of Origin