News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Vote in the Green Party Primary on Tuesday

Started by irishbobcat, March 03, 2012, 11:57:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

irishbobcat

Ask for a Green Party ballot on Tuesday, Howard Markert is running for Mahoning County Commissioner  and Jim Villani for County Recorder and Joseph Rosario DeMare write in candidate for US Senate.
         Howard Markert -- Green Party Candidate for Mahoning County Commissioner
  On the subject of the Youngstown Earthquakes and the Class II injection wells used for the disposal oil & gas drilling waste:
  "The main thing about the D&L well, and the wells near Newport Ohio where earthquakes are also occurring, that is different from the other Class II injection wells in Ohio with no history of quakes is that they are NEW wells drilled into a deeper layer of the Earth's crust. Almost all of the Class II wells in Ohio are old oil or gas wells that have been modified to be an injection well and are between 2000 and 6000 feet in depth. D&L's new wells (most are not online yet) are deeper at 8000 to 9500 feet in depth into a formation that will absorb more waste fluids faster."
   "ODNR has always claimed that there has never been seismic issues with any Class II wells in Ohio, and up until these new deeper wells that was true. However, a point of clarification needs to be made, Class II wells are only used for disposal of oil and gas drilling fluids "brine" as they like to call it, and Class I injection wells are used to dispose of "Hazardous Waste" (this consists of contaminated water, chemicals, industrial lubricants, and toxic liquid waste including radioactive waste) from other industries and government agencies (military, research, medical, Dept. of Energy, etc.). Class I wells are mostly drilled into deeper formations, from 8000 to 12,000 feet deep, and because of this, there is a history of Class I wells and induced earthquakes (Ashtabula, Ohio and many others). My point being that other than where the liquid waste comes from, there is virtually no difference from these new deeper Class II wells and the Class I wells which have a long history of earthquake activity. This is a point that ODNR officials and D&L always new, but never shared with the public."