News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Where's The Local GOP?

Started by jay, February 26, 2012, 09:11:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Towntalk

I couldn't agree with you more ytowner.

Politics is a blood sport and has to be fought with a no holds barred attitude, showing no mercy to one's opponent. The successful candidate has to have fire in his belly and a willingness to do whatever it takes to win, but he must also have a party leadership that will stand by him 100%, and that is what is lacking.

The last powerful chairman that the Mahoning GOP had was Det Anderson, and that man produced results, but no one today knows who he was because you weren't born yet. Strangely enough, Don Hanni patterned his chairmanship after Anderson.

ytowner

Quote from: sfc_oliver on February 26, 2012, 10:55:19 AM

But what can be done about it?

Find a leader that is willing to take us to the next level. If I ever wanted to run as a Republican, something people have told me to consider doing down the road, I wouldn't stand a chance with the current leadership. Find someone well known locally that can drum up support and get people to vote GOP.

We are a top 10 county in terms of population, but probably in the 40s in terms of # of Republicans.

sfc_oliver

Quote from: ytowner on February 26, 2012, 10:50:10 AM
Awful leadership locally is the problem. They don't even try and it is sickening. I am declaring myself a Republican have about two contested races to vote in... President and US Senate. Other than that, nothing important at all.

But what can be done about it?
<<<)) Sergeant First Class,  US Army, Retired((>>>

ytowner

Awful leadership locally is the problem. They don't even try and it is sickening. I am declaring myself a Republican have about two contested races to vote in... President and US Senate. Other than that, nothing important at all.

sfc_oliver

I've been back in the valley for 13 years now, after an absence of 28 years. And honestly I haven't a clue who the GOP Chairman is. I know where the HQ is as I went to pick up yard signs a time or two. But driving by there I never see anyone there.

I have doubts that they have any cash to help any possible candidates.

And my bet is that the State GOP has given up on the valley as well. Two years ago the Republican candidate for congress running against Tim Ryan didn't even have yard signs printed....

Towntalk

Bert knows the answer as well as I do, and that is that the county GOP needs a total overhaul from the bottom up ... a totally new leadership that has fire in its blood burning so hot and so bright that it will draw more qualified people to run for office, and this business of forcing candidates to foot the bill totally for their campaign has to be brought to a screeching halt.

Over the years a number of well qualified folks were willing to run for office under the GOP banner, but when they were told that the party wouldn't help them financially they walked away, and I don't blame them one bit.

A new chairman like Don Hanni wouldn't go amiss.

sfc_oliver

I think they have pretty much given up on the valley.

jay

In today's newspaper, Sunday, February 26, Bertram de Souza asked "What has happened to the GOPers?"  He pointed out that in Mahoning County, only one Republican candidate is seeking countywide office.

Even the upstart Green Party has two candidates running countywide.