News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Iraq War Over

Started by Towntalk, October 21, 2011, 04:07:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

irishbobcat

Yes it is quite sad that so many people believed the lies spread by Bush and Rumsfield to
back the war in Iraq......

Trouble is Bush and Rumsfield did know back then that their were no weapons....they just
wanted an excuse to play Cowboy like John Wayne.....

Towntalk

One does not have to be either liberal or conservative to hate war, and anyone who says any different is either a liar or a fool. No one in their right mind wants to send their son or daughter into a war zone, but the fact remains that there are those out there who hate everything we as a nation stand forand sooner or later we must confront them on the battlefield, and I for one do not want to hear any crackpot excuses to avoid dealing with these enemies. There is no room for discussion pro or con if we are attacked, none whatsoever, but neither do I believe that we can afford to be the worlds police while others sit back and do nothing.

sfc_oliver

Why did we need to fight the war in Iraq? Because most of the civilized world believed that Saddam was still producing or stockpiling WMD. Yes, we know now that his production had been stopped, but he admitted that he didn't want Iran to know that. It has also been proved (read the Duelfer report) that he planned on starting his production right back up as soon as sanctions were lifted.

I believe that we have been at war with Iran since 1979. Not a direct out in front shooting war but a war none the less. Iranian weapons and training have killed American soldiers in Iraq and Afghanistan. I don't know what we should do with Iran. I do believe that they are responsible for many American Deaths and injuries and I believe they are working on a Nuclear weapon. Still someone with more knowledge than I has to determine what can and should be done.

What should have been done in Iraq (Hindsight is so easy) is that the Iraqi Military should never have been disbanded. The country should have been turned over to them. This would have prevented the massive unemployment and a good chance that there would not have been the so called freedom fighters.

Now saying all that, still it is every soldiers prayer that we never see war. And please, no nukes.........
<<<)) Sergeant First Class,  US Army, Retired((>>>

kenneyjoe330

sfc_oliver - Once again I will admit to not being smart concerning politics and I sure do not wish to make enemies with you or anyone else.  I have tried hard to understand your last post.  It seems to have a lot of contradictions - the slow exchange of words on a format such as this is difficult - at least for me since I perfer to see and hear the inflections of the person delivering the words first hand. 
Now - I understand you answered my question on "W" saying he ended the war in three months - It WAS the US Intelligence that supposedly got us into the war and according to US Intelligence there should have been someone - or a small group - to turn the country over once we got control of the capital - No one came forward (or no one we wanted to give the country over to) and after over nine years is there anyone - that we want - to turn the country over to.  It is a difficult thing to admit that our country's intelligence is not that great OR that the decisions based on our intelligence is much flawed.  I believe that it is the understanding of the people and their cultural that prevents us from even beginning to make peace.  We could care less about their culture - or any culture for that matter - buy the simple fact that we guarded the oil company offices and left musemum full of some of civilizations most ancient artifacts to be looted by any one - probably including our own people.
If Iraq was/is such a threat to us then why don't we invade Mexico?  Most of the drug busts and problems like ramdon shooting and violent acts on innocent people even resulting in deaths of children are from Mexican drugs - and that is just in Lansingville let alone other places across the country.  And that isn't even touching the "illegals" that live across the street and down a few houses from me - and of course other places across the country.
I would be MOST HAPPY if you could give me your ideas concerning our Need to go to WAR in Iraq ?   Why not go to war in Iran ? ? ? ? Some people think we should just drop the bomb and let it be done.  You know we talk allot about our people being killed - well what about their people ???  Do you think their every day simple unarmed people don't get killed along with our soldiers who themselves would rather not be there and may not be wanted there.  Oh I know we see lots of pics with our soldiers and civilians - do you really think for even a flash of a second the Media would show the other end of the spectrum .
I can go on and on - thanks for listening to my prater. 
S'BOHUM - which is Rusyn for "kind of like" - God be with You as we part our ways - see what I mean - it takes a sentence to say what six letters in people that think differently in another language.  Just think of the recent Amish incident with the hair cutting - the very strict Jews have a big thing about cutting hair also.  Problems will always exist if and when we don't care to understand people and their culture.

irishbobcat

For the record.....Bush and Rumsfeld lied to get us into the war in Iraq.....

There were no weapons of mass destruction.....only Bush's big ego to go to war......

Sad to see so many lives lost because of Bush's plan.....another bad decision during his

administration....

sfc_oliver

First and foremost I truly wish there were no war now or ever again.

But the war in Iraq had to be fought, and it was and was won in just 3 months time. It was the peace that Bush and Rumsfeld screwed up. Had we finished what the original objectives were and got out things would be so much better in the entire Mid-east by now. But we didn't.

So now we leave a very unstable government with nothing but our best wishes for their success. I foresee Iraq being little more than a puppet of Iran within a year, much like Syria.

No this doesn't end the war in Iraq.

By The Way. Just to keep the record straight. It was a Bush plan, a Bush agreement that called for all American troops out of Iraq by the end of 2011. The current administration simply followed through on it.......
<<<)) Sergeant First Class,  US Army, Retired((>>>

kenneyjoe330

I do not consider myself "smart" concerning politics but rather an "observer" and draw conclusions - correct or incorrect - from that which I observe.   I forget somethings and remember other things  :laugh:  I do remember the former President "W" Bush saying something to the effect that "the war is over" - could someone help me - what war was "W" referring to ????  Did "W" really make that statement and if he did what did he mean by that ???? I am NOT fond of President Obama but I believe he is just doing what he pledged to do when he came into office - like it or not .  I also believe most people I know are against the war and I am also.  I listen to "Media News" on occasion and always to what the 'high and mighty' have to say with much skepticism - everyone has "an agenda" and the "Truth" as they would like you believe.
I would think it to be obvious that "Investors Business Daily" would be against the war - don't you think.  Wars are an investors "dream come true".  There are billions to be made in the "war industry".  ;D ;D ;D  How could you possibly take their statements seriously   ??? ;D
They may be correct about ending the war to be wrong - but look where they are coming from - look who is talking and for what ulterior motive  ;D

Towntalk

Others:

Investers Business Daily

Iraq: President Obama claims his total troop withdrawal by year-end was always the plan. In fact, thousands of our military would be staying longer, training Iraqis, but for the administration's diplomatic incompetence.
After announcing Friday a total withdrawal of troops by the end of this year, Obama reminded Iraq that "as a candidate for president, I pledged to bring the war in Iraq to a responsible end for the sake of our national security and to strengthen American leadership around the world."
But this is no responsible end to the Iraq War. It's the beginning of the consequences of America relinquishing its responsibilities in a place that became, as both George W. Bush and current CIA director and former commander of U.S. forces in Iraq David Petraeus put it, "the central front" in the global war being waged by al-Qaida and other Islamist terrorist groups.

Congresswoman Barbara Lee D-Calif.

"This is a huge victory for those of us who have been pushing for an end to the war in Iraq. I look forward to welcoming our brave men and women back home for the holidays. We will never forget the enormous sacrifices made by so many of our brave men and women and their families. We must honor our commitment to our veterans.

JOHN BOLTON, FORMER U.S. AMBASSADOR TO THE U.N.: I think this is a mistake. I think the president effectively made the decision that he was going to have all American forces out by the end of the 2011 even before he was inaugurated. And I think the negotiations we have seen over the past couple of months were efforts by the Defense Department to try to salvage something. I think the president wanted to be able to say that he had been had withdrawn all American forces, that he had ended this war. He has now done that. And the consequences, which I think will be substantially negative for the United States, will be his responsibility.

Towntalk

FROM CNN today:

CHRIS LAWRENCE: I was embedded with some American troops who are part of a joint American-Iraq right on the border with Iran about a year or so ago. They told me how much influence Iran had in that area. And you look at the statements that senior officials have been making over the past year really beating it over our heads about how much influence Iraq (sic) has, that Iranian weapons are in Iraq being used to kill U.S. troops.

Well, now if you're going to sort of sell this development or this pullout as a win, you have got to account for the fact or answer the question, if Iran was able to exert that much influence with tens of thousands of American troops in Iraq, how are you going to lessen that influence when all those troops are gone?

PAUL STEINHAUSER, CNN DEPUTY POLITICAL DIRECTOR: Yes.

And no surprise. Of course Mitt Romney one of the front-runners right now in the battle for the Republican nomination, somebody who would like to have President Obama's job after the election next year.

And let me continue on with that. He said that: "It's an astonishing failure to secure an orderly transition in Iraq and has unnecessarily put at risk the victories that were won through the blood and sacrifice of thousands of American men and women. The unavoidable question is whether this decision is the result of a naked political calculation or simply sheer ineptitude in negotiations with the Iraqi government. The American people deserve to hear the recommendations that were made by our military commanders in Iraq."

That is some extremely tough language from the Romney campaign, Brooke, no doubt about it.

WOLF BLITZER:. President Obama may be hoping to score some political points for ending a controversial war that began when George W. Bush was president of the United States. But the Republicans who want his job are calling the withdrawal a failure, not a success.

GLORIA BORGER, CNN CHIEF POLITICAL ANALYST: Well, in particular, Wolf, from Mitt Romney, and let me read to you what he said in a statement today. He said "President Obama's astonishing failure to secure an orderly transition in Iraq has unnecessarily put at risk the victories that were won through the blood and sacrifice of thousands of American men and women. The unavoidable question is whether this decision is the result of a naked political calculation, or simply ineptitude in negotiations with the Iraqi government."

Towntalk

It all depends on who's answering your question, not to be cute. The folks at CNN are very pessamistic, the Republicans are outraged, and there are mixed feelings in Congress.
CNN sees it as a blatent political move on the part of the Obama administration, and Iran and Syria are dancing with joy since the Iraqi president is their pal.

Why?Town

There's just one thing I got to know, can you tell me please, who won?

Towntalk

The portion with the line through was not in the delivered statement as delivered.

Towntalk

The White House
Office of the Press Secretary
For Immediate Release October 21, 2011
Remarks by the President on Ending the War in Iraq
James S. Brady Press Briefing Room
12:49 P.M. EDT

THE PRESIDENT:  Good afternoon, everybody.  As a candidate for President, I
pledged to bring the war in Iraq to a responsible end -- for the sake of our
national security and to strengthen American leadership around the world.  After
taking office, I announced a new strategy that would end our combat mission in
Iraq and remove all of our troops by the end of 2011.

As Commander-in-Chief, ensuring the success of this strategy has been one of my
highest national security priorities.  Last year, I announced the end to our
combat mission in Iraq.  And to date, we've removed more than 100,000 troops. 
Iraqis have taken full responsibility for their country's security.

A few hours ago I spoke with Iraqi Prime Minister Maliki.  I reaffirmed that the
United States keeps its commitments.  He spoke of the determination of the Iraqi
people to forge their own future.  We are in full agreement about how to move
forward.

So today, I can report that, as promised, the rest of our troops in Iraq will
come home by the end of the year.  After nearly nine years, America's war in
Iraq will be over.

Over the next two months, our troops in Iraq -- tens of thousands of them --
will pack up their gear and board convoys for the journey home.  The last
American soldier will cross the border out of Iraq with their heads held
high, proud of their success, and knowing that the American people stand united
in our support for our troops.  That is how America's military efforts in Iraq
will end.

But even as we mark this important milestone, we're also moving into a new phase
in the relationship between the United States and Iraq.  As of January 1st, and
in keeping with our Strategic Framework Agreement with Iraq, it will be a normal
relationship between sovereign nations, an equal partnership based on mutual
interests and mutual respect.

In today's conversation, Prime Minister Maliki and I agreed that a meeting of
the Higher Coordinating Committee of the Strategic Framework Agreement will
convene in the coming weeks.  And I invited the Prime Minister to come to the
White House in December, as we plan for all the important work that we have to
do together.  This will be a strong and enduring partnership.  With our
diplomats and civilian advisors in the lead, we'll help Iraqis strengthen
institutions that are just, representative and accountable.  We'll build new
ties of trade and of commerce, culture and education, that unleash the potential
of the Iraqi people.  We'll partner with an Iraq that contributes to regional
security and peace, just as we insist that other nations respect Iraq's
sovereignty.

As I told Prime Minister Maliki, we will continue discussions on how we
might help Iraq train and equip its forces -- again, just as we offer training
and assistance to countries around the world.  After all, there will be some
difficult days ahead for Iraq, and the United States will continue to have an
interest in an Iraq that is stable, secure and self-reliant.  Just as Iraqis
have persevered through war, I'm confident that they can build a future worthy
of their history as a cradle of civilization.

Here at home, the coming months will be another season of homecomings. 
Across America, our servicemen and women will be reunited with their families. 
Today, I can say that our troops in Iraq will definitely be home for the
holidays.

This December will be a time to reflect on all that we've been though in this
war.  I'll join the American people in paying tribute to the more than 1 million
Americans who have served in Iraq.  We'll honor our many wounded warriors and
the nearly 4,500 American patriots -- and their Iraqi and coalition partners --
who gave their lives to this effort.

And finally, I would note that the end of war in Iraq reflects a larger
transition.  The tide of war is receding.  The drawdown in Iraq allowed us to
refocus our fight against al Qaeda and achieve major victories against its
leadership -- including Osama bin Laden.  Now, even as we remove our last troops
from Iraq, we're beginning to bring our troops home from Afghanistan, where
we've begun a transition to Afghan security in leadership.  When I took office,
roughly 180,000 troops were deployed in both these wars.  And by the end of this
year that number will be cut in half, and make no mistake:  It will continue to
go down.

Meanwhile, yesterday marked the definitive end of the Qaddafi regime in Libya. 
And there, too, our military played a critical role in shaping a situation on
the ground in which the Libyan people can build their own future.  Today, NATO
is working to bring this successful mission to a close.

So to sum up, the United States is moving forward from a position of strength. 
The long war in Iraq will come to an end by the end of this year.  The
transition in Afghanistan is moving forward, and our troops are finally coming
home.  As they do, fewer deployments and more time training will help keep our
military the very best in the world.  And as we welcome home our newest
veterans, we'll never stop working to give them and their families the care, the
benefits and the opportunities that they have earned.

This includes enlisting our veterans in the greatest challenge that we now face
as a nation -- creating opportunity and jobs in this country.  Because after a
decade of war, the nation that we need to build -- and the nation that we will
build -- is our own; an America that sees its economic strength restored just as
we've restored our leadership around the globe.

Thank you very much.

END           12:55 P.M. EDT

irishbobcat

Good.....about time.....

Towntalk

Obama: Troops in Iraq will be home for Christmas.