News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Meeting About The North Side Post Office - Friday, February 17

Started by jay, February 17, 2012, 09:22:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Linked Events

jay

This is another contrived problem dumped on the post office.  The PO has been mandated to prepay future retirees' health care benefits in advance to cover the next 75 years and to make these payments over a ten years period.  This payment amounts to roughly 5 billion dollars per year.  That's money the post office just doesn't have sitting around.

Towntalk

From what I've learned, it's not the fuel that is causing the woes for the Post Office, but is their pension plan.

jay

As the cost of gasoline rose, many businesses passed along a fuel delivery surcharge to their customers.  Tho Post Office, which uses a lot of fuel, did not have the luxury of passing on a temporary surcharge to its customers.

Towntalk

Unfortunately the bulk mail that the Post Office handles helps pay the bills.

Talk about junk mail, I get more junk mail via E-mail than I get via the mailman.

jay

The governing body of the post office (might be the postal commission) does not allow the post office to increase first class rates and junk mail rates as needed.  Any increase is tied to the CPI.  If any rate should increase, it is the junk mail rate.  I get more junk mail than regular mail and I don't want the junk mail.

jay

What I found sad was that so few people came to the north side post office meeting last night.  The TV coverage showed about 20 people in the room.  There were a lot of empty seats.

Apathy

Towntalk

Jay: You forget that a postal substation will open at Giant Eagle on Belmont Avenue and should be up and running in March and they'll be doing more than selling stamps. Don't know if they'll have postal boxes, but beside that, they'll have just about everything else.

jay

The powers-that-be claimed there are seven postal facilities within three miles of the north side post office.

Five of these "locations" are actually stores that sell stamps as a convenience to their customers.

Towntalk

1716 Guadelupe Avenue, Youngstown, Ohio, 44505 ...330-743-6602

Rick Rowlands

jay

A Meeting About The
Fate of the North Side Post Office

Friday, February 17
6:00 p.m. - 8:00 p.m.

- Location -
United Methodist Community Center
139 E. Boardman Street
Downtown Youngstown