News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Wick Neighborhood Area 1910

Started by Towntalk, August 28, 2011, 04:30:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AllanY2525

Doctor C.C   Booth was a company doctor and surgeon for Youngstown Sheet and Tube.
This house is  on Bryson Street between Indiana and Illinois Ave.

AllanY2525

I don't have any real biographical info on Mason Wick.  I think he was in the banking business...
this house is also on Illinois ave

AllanY2525

Fredd Orr was in the funeral business.  He hired Charles Owsley to design this house at
Illinois Avenue after he became very successful in his skilled profession.

AllanY2525

I was speaking to the idea that the former Henry Kirtland Wick plat - was one of the wealthiest neighborhoods in the city at
the turn of the 20th century.  I'll post some of the homes I have photos of.. they were all built between 1907 and 1930 or so.

I had always wondered about the exact period in time when H.K.Wick (or his heirs) started platting out that large chunk of land east of
the park and around the Wick Log cabin that Charles Owsley designed for them - which is where present day Illinois Avenue is.  In the
attached clip from an old 1907 Sanborn map - you see the log cabin, and the un-divided platt of land around it.  So sometime between
1907 and 1910 is when Illinois ave, Indiana ave and the extension of Bryson street were laid in and the land platted out into home lots.

I really did not (and still don't) intend on getting into a discussion of what anyone's idea of an "entitled" person is...not the subject of
this thread at all...

Youngstownshrimp

northside lurker

Allan, from my observations on this board, it seems that the "entitled" are defined as anyone who doesn't work in the private sector.  So, with that in mind, (and trying to stay on topic, a little) are you saying that no judges, councilmen, mayors, or other elected officials ever lived in this neighborhood?
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
--Thomas Edison

AllanY2525

Ron -

PLEASE don't take offense to this - but aren't you a little bit off topic?  We were discussing an old newspaper article about the Wick Park
neighborhood circa 1910... what the heck does this have to do with "entitled" people in the year 2011? 

It's a discussion about history.. you have every right to voice your opinions on this forum.... and I have no issues with that at all... but could
you at least post messages like this on threads where they are related to the topic that was started by the poster?

Thanks buddy.....

:)

Youngstownshrimp

Yes, now the entitled are being community organized to create more entitled.

AllanY2525

There WERE NO "entitled" in the Wick Park neighborhood in those days.. for SURE.   This was one of the wealthiest
neighborhoods in the entire city... and not just the Wick family either.  This was one of the neighborhoods you moved
to after you made your fortune - by working your a** off.

The 1907 Sanborn Fire Insurance maps show the area before the construction of Illinois and Indiana avenues, and
the extension of Bryson Street north of Madison (formerly called "Millicent Avenue" after Millicent Wick).  Wish there
were photos of more of these houses when they were new....

LOL

:)

Youngstownshrimp

Nice picture, obviously before the entitled moved in.

Towntalk

This 1910 ad was for new homes in what is now the Wick Neighborhood area.

http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=yyJIAAAAIBAJ&sjid=F4EMAAAAIBAJ&pg=4763%2C6923858