News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Sunday Streets Takes Over the Mission

Started by irishbobcat, June 08, 2009, 09:24:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Towntalk

We've been doing something like that for years ... Party On The Plaza ... the events on North Phelips Street sponsoed by Pig Iron Press.

It's a swell idea but who says that we have to duplicate what other communities are doing. Variety is the spice of life.

The more events the better.

irishbobcat

Maybe we should start a Sunday Streets in the valley....and leave the Harleys at home....

Sunday Streets Takes Over the Mission

Written by Rhonda Winter

Published on June 8th, 2009Posted in San Francisco

Thousands of my fellow San Franciscans poured into the beautiful car-free space of the Mission District yesterday for Sunday Streets. The warm sunny day inspired scores of families, bicyclists, dogs, pedestrians, dancers, roller-bladers and skaters to come together and frolic in our city's public streets.

In addition to celebrating the car-free roads, the massive crowds also enjoyed dozens of various events-everything from dance lessons and live music to free roller blade rentals and a youth bike training program. The mood was decidedly festive, friendly and social; I found that I could not walk a block without running into someone that I knew.

Sunday Streets is all about getting out, being active, healthy and engaging with our fellow humans. The free event is modeled after the hugely successful Ciclovías that are held every week in Bogotá, Colombia. That South American street party draws nearly two million people on over 70 miles of car-free roads; that is 30% of the entire population of the country getting physical. I hope that one day soon as many of my fellow sedentary citizens will get out every week and shake it in the streets.

Dennis Spisak
Mahoning Valley Green Party