News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

What A Waste

Started by jay, November 11, 2009, 06:16:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AllanY2525

It really is a shame that this person used plastic bags instead of paper ones.  I can go up the road
to the Home Depot and buy a bundle of the large, brown (recycled) paper yard bags for just a
couple dollars...

The county trash removal people where I live in MD will *not* take any leaves, lawn clippings, etc
that are not in paper bags - they just put a bright orange sticker on the bags and leave them on
the devil strip - same applies for computers, tvs, etc. that should be recycled.

The city trash department should just leave this person a note saying something to this effect.
In the first year after we started the recycling stuff down here, the county said they reduced
the amount of trash going into landfills by about 55%.....

Our trash transfer station has drop-offs for just about everything, and they even give away
shredded bark mulch (from trimming trees around power lines, etc) for free - all you can haul.
I use the stuff around the bushes in front of the house, looks great.

:)

Rick Rowlands

Why bags?  Most other areas use vac trucks and suck up the piles.  Saves on all those bags.

joly1584

We now use a mulching mower and recycle in our own yard.

When we did rake we got 75 bags of leaves.  The maximum number of bags for the city program is 20.  Where do we keep the bags until the city picks them up on our assigned day?

The leaf pick up is a good idea but maybe two pick up dates one in October and one in November.  I will admit the leaves seemed to fall early this year, sometimes we are not done until after Thanksgiving.

jay

It's unbelieveable how many leaves are sent to the landfill from the city of Youngstown each year.  This photo was taken at the home of one Youngstown resident.

The city has a leaf collection program which is operated by the Youngstown Office of Litter Control and Recycling.  The office distributes large paper bags which are collected by the city when full and then composted.  Unfortunately, very few residents participate in the program.