News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Traffic Cam Poll

Started by MV_Viewpoints, November 07, 2009, 01:36:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Should privately operated traffic cams be installed along roadways in the City of Youngstown?

Yes
9 (47.4%)
No
10 (52.6%)

Total Members Voted: 16

Voting closed: November 13, 2009, 01:36:51 PM

our2cents

I know people in Cleveland who were cited by the initial private company program...even though they were not speeding.  In this case, they were behind a #'d police unit, that the camera also flashed for, but it was not speeding.  The person had to take time off work to fight it in court.  So, it still cost them money out of pocket.  I would see it differently if one of our paid officers were reviewing the shots and making the ultimate decision on ticketing or not.  Not to mention, it's an officer's job to cite, not a private company...and giving a private company enforcement rights is not in the public interest.  Let's face it...they want to make money any way possible.

Another thing I don't like was in the Vindy:
http://www.vindy.com/news/2009/nov/06/youngstown-police-chief-seeks-traffic-cameras-near/
"Additional cameras could help police solve serious crimes if they tape criminal activity, Hughes said. "We hope to utilize them at special events and hot spots" for crime, he said.

"We can gather intelligence on other crimes. It may record information about a murder or other serious crimes.""

I disagree wth rolling cameras.  Traffic cameras are meant to snap a shot, but leave public privacy in mind.  It seems the chief wants to expand to rolling recordings citywide.  If you start with one form, it makes it easier for people to be stupid and accept more loss of our civil rights.  It just puts more of the idea of everyone being guilty of something.  So much for any innocence before being judged guilty. 

If they are put in areas with heavy crimes, what do you think is going to happen to them?  Someone will put them out of commision just as quickly as they're put in.

The ones at Shields and West Blvd are traffic light control only.

sfc_oliver

I simply do not see anything wrong with cameras as long as they remain in Public areas. And if they catch someone breaking the law, then so be it. It's called a good thing.
<<<)) Sergeant First Class,  US Army, Retired((>>>

jay

I don't believe the cameras at the intersection of Shields Road and West Blvd. are used to issue traffic citations.

john r. swierz

Did you know that they have traffic camera's on poles on Shields near West Blvd in boardman.

Rick Rowlands

In the suburbs I would say no to the cameras, but in Youngstown where the cops are vastly outnumbered I say yes.  I would like to see traffic signal cameras at all intersections in town as that is a huge problem around here.

john r. swierz

Lets be correct with your statement . They would only be placed in school zones. While it would generate funds that would be used  to hire more police ( My Plan) , because we don't have enough to do speed control, for that very fact it is our hope that the camera's would cause people to go the speed limit. Remember, if you don't speed you don't get a ticket.

MV_Viewpoints

Youngstown City Council wants to install traffic cams to controll speed and generate revenues.