News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

A Demolition

Started by jay, October 28, 2009, 11:17:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rick Rowlands

I drove by there today, and that spot is so tiny its hard to imaging such a large home fitting in there.  Even with it gone the church still has cramped quarters.

rusty river

You're off by 3 decades, Allan. County auditor site says that this home was built in 1911, along with the others fronting mahoning ave. If you drive by, you'll notice a small driveway between two of them. This widens into a street, Wells Ct. There are a couple other similar houses on this street, built in 1912, all exactly the same size and number of rooms. About half of them no longer exist. The ones on Mahoning were larger, with the house that was torn down being the largest at over 2,000 sf. The smaller ones on Wells are 1,100 sf. From looking at the lot lines, I bet you that the two properties fronting mahoning had their lots shortened to make that curb cut onto mahoning, and that Wells Ct. originally only had an entrance from Marshall. I doubt that this little neighborhood extended much beyond marshall where 680 is. There never really was much of a residential populaton in the mahoning commons area. And there is no indication that Wells extended to high street, unlike West Ave and another nameless street which would have run along the right side of Flynn's. If you drive down High, you can see the remants of this street still. I would love to see a map from the 20s or 30s of this area to see what it had actually developed into.

Sarge was right, the church acquired the house in 1968. It's legal taxing name was Refugee Resettlement Home. Anyone know the history of this house and the church??

Rick Rowlands

Not a very "green" building.  It might have had fiberglass in the roof but those hollow tile walls just suck the heat right out.

AllanY2525

I think I heard (from someone but cannot recall who...) that there was
a nickname for this neighborhood, before i680 cut through it... these
houses almost look like they were pre-fabricated to some degree, and
there are still many "copies" of this house right around that church....

Was this a WW2 era neighborhood by any chance?

I like the concrete stucco design - LOW MAINTENANCE  hahaha

:D

sfc_oliver

The church has owned that property for years. I did some work on the house for them about 7 years ago.
<<<)) Sergeant First Class,  US Army, Retired((>>>

rusty river

Quote from: westsider on October 28, 2009, 11:24:19 AM
Does anyone know why this house was demolished?  Of the houses on this block, this one appeared to be in the nicest.

Not sure. It was a private job, not the city. I also suspect that the church may have bought the property, as the lot has been regraded and seeded as well.

Rushblvd

Maybe that church bought the property and decided to get rid of the house. It looks like a very nice house, to bad..

northside lurker

Does anyone know why this house was demolished?  Of the houses on this block, this one appeared to be in the nicest.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
--Thomas Edison

jay

These photos are of a recent demolition on lower Mahoning Avenue near West Avenue.