News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

FREE ENERGY EFFICIENT LIGHT BULBS

Started by Towntalk, October 05, 2009, 11:15:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

our2cents

Too bad that story made a huge false statement.  We are still in a Monopoly situation in OH.  There are no choices to be made.  So, the statement of FE avoiding a failure from Monopoly days is crap.

Towntalk

Pllllllllllllllllllllease... I wouldn't wish that sorry fate (eating mercury laced light bulbs) on anyone ......... anyone except Vegans ... tree huggers ... the Save the Whale crowd ... and the Fairness Doctrine crowd.

No offense Dennis, you're not included  :) .

Rick Rowlands

Yes!!! The people have spoken and have been heard!!!  This is wonderful!  I hope First Energy has to eat 4 million Chinese bulbs.

jay

Governor Strickland is having the PUCO review this program.

Based on my experience with the base rate issue, I have no faith in the PUCO.

Towntalk

BREAKING NEWS

The Governor has issued an order this afternoon SUSPENDING the lightbulb scheme. It will not go forward.

Governor Calls for Postponement of First Energy Light Bulb Program

http://governor.ohio.gov/News/PressReleases/2009/October2009/News10709/tabid/1269/Default.aspx

Towntalk

The whole thing is that these bulbs are being forced on us, and we'll be paying through the nose whether we get them or not.

>:( I'm not against CFL's BUT I'm totally against having them forced on me.  >:(

The PUCO handed First Energy a gift without any concern for its impact on the people of Ohio.  >:(

Rep. Dennis Kucinich seeks federal investigation of FirstEnergy bulb program

http://www.cleveland.com/open/index.ssf/2009/10/rep_dennis_kucinich_seeks_fede.html

northside lurker

The intention was good.  But the execution of the idea is horrible.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
--Thomas Edison

sfc_oliver

I replaced my bulbs several years ago. I have a 6 pack on hand in case one blows out. I do not want to buy 2 more for $21. Maybe we should get together and start a class action, There is no way it can be legal to make us buy something that we do not need.
<<<)) Sergeant First Class,  US Army, Retired((>>>

AllanY2525

I bought a five-pack of the 13 watt compact flourescent bulbs at the Home
Depot last week, for about $10..that's about 2 bucks a bulb.

I've read about the mercury, etc in these bulbs and I think that they should
be recycled, just like we do with computers and other electronics...even
old fashioned light bulbs (incandescent) have a little solder in them - which
contains lead.

The glass from both types of light bulbs, and the aluminum in the base of
each, are easily melted down and recycled.

Towntalk

Here's what to look for.

Towntalk

>:( >:( >:( ROYAL RIPOFF  >:( >:( >:(

Utility to sell you $9 bulbs for $21

http://www.vindy.com/news/2009/oct/07/utility-to-sell-you-9-bulbs-for-21/?newswatch

State Sen. Capri Cafaro of Liberty, D-32nd, encouraged consumers who don't like FirstEnergy's plan to register their complaint with the Ohio Consumers' Counsel at (877) 742-5622.

jay

From the front page of today's newspaper

The bulbs cost $9

The utility is selling them to you for $21

>:(

joly1584

Here is the response I got from First Energy when I asked about opting out of the "Free" light bulb program.  I can refuse the bulbs or give them to someone else, but I will still have to pay for them.

Thank you for utilizing FirstEnergy's Customer Care website for youraccount needs. This CFL program is part of a statewide effort under Ohio'snew energy law (Senate Bill 221) to reduce the amount of electricitycustomers use. As with most state-mandated programs that are designed tobenefit all residential customers – such as energy efficiency programs andenvironmental projects – the costs incurred by the utilities to implement the program are included in residential customer rates. So all customers share the costs of the programs over a period of several years.

If a delivery person comes to your house when you are home, please simplyask them not to deliver the bulbs to your home, and they will move on. Ifyou do receive bulbs – either through the mail or at your door – feel freeto give them to a neighbor, friend or a family member. If you want todispose of them, check if your municipality permits you to put CFLs in thegarbage. If so, seal the bulb in two plastic bags and put it into theoutside trash, or other protected outside location, for the next normaltrash collection. If not, you will need to properly recycle the bulbs.CFL recycling is available free of charge at The Home Depot stores – oryour municipality might have other CFL recycling programs available. 

Should you have additional comments about this matter, contact us by usingyour e-mail "Reply" function. Please make sure your message's "Subject"field refers to the Request Number below. If you need to speak to a Customer Service Representative, please call ustoll-free at 1-800-633-4766. Sincerely,  Customer Service

Rick Rowlands

First Energy's corporate HQ is in Akron.  We could just take our bulbs and throw them on their front lawn.  Its not littering, just returning their property to them.  We could call it the Akron Bulb Party!

We should be calling our State reps and Senators since it was them who dreamed up this hair brained scheme.  If they can get away with lightbulbs, next they will be buying new appliances for you and making you pay ten times the going rate for them!