News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

How To Improve Youngstown

Started by jay, September 17, 2009, 08:37:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ForumManager

Quote from: AllanY2525 on November 02, 2009, 10:37:33 PM
I've had several bad experiences with the building inspections/demolitions
department since I started trying to build a small business in Youngstown,
but lately they have not been bothering me any more.
I agree that they changed their approach recently but it was too late in our case.

AllanY2525

I've had several bad experiences with the building inspections/demolitions
department since I started trying to build a small business in Youngstown,
but lately they have not been bothering me any more.

I just get very frustrated (and, yes, sometimes even "boisterous") about
things because I'm trying to be one of the good guys and save a few houses,
and one old apartment building, that are worth saving.

Since I had the property on Illinois Avenue scraped and painted, they seem
to be satisfied with the place for now. 

They even backed off from the "Raze or repair" order that they slapped me
with the last time the neighborhood kids graffitti'ed the building, once I painted
over the graffitti and left a couple rather nasty phone messages at city hall
regarding the personal remarks made by someone in the inspection department.

The person I am referring to basically said (via phone mail, not in person) that
I "need to take more pride in what I own and in Youngstown"...it made me
laugh and get angry at the same time....the website is, among other things,
a way for me to photo-document every aspect of the rehab work - before,
during and afterwards...just in case the city ever has any question about
what was done, how, or why. It's also a great way to show the city that
I am putting my money where my mouth is... I just wish I had enough time
and money to save more of the North Side houses around the park.

As for the house on Woodbine Avenue, the city has actually been really nice
about things - I think this is mainly because several aspects of the re-hab
(ie: structural, electrical) not only meet code - they exceed it.  I figured that
if I was gonna have to do this stuff, better to over-build it and never have
to worry about it again.

I actually had one inspector laugh when he came out to check the steel girders
and footings after we installed them... he said "do ya think ya made these things
heavy enough?  I could park a truck in your living room with these [girders] in
here...you really over-built this... "

Rick Rowlands

You mean its so bad that even the politically connected can't get building permits?  Whoa its worse than I thought!

northside lurker

Just how politically connected does one have to be?  The Mahoning County commissioners have had as much trouble getting a building permit (Oakhill) as anyone else, recently.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
--Thomas Edison

ForumManager

Quote from: Rick Rowlands on September 17, 2009, 08:00:24 PM

Make it easy for the average person or company without political connections to get building permits without having to go through the BS that I had to go through. 

THANK YOU FOR SAYING THIS... we have experienced this as well - so much so that the building was finally demolished due to the permit people blocking the road.  Very long story. I wonder how many others have faced these issues.  I feel this particular issue has contributed GREATLY to the demise of the city.

AllanY2525

I agree that the number of seats on the City Council should be reduced -
to reflect the current population - there's just less "Youngstown" left
to be represented nowadays...

Rick Rowlands

I am actually of the opinion that the first ward should be split into two, since that ward includes downtown and over to the east side where I am at.  Those are two distinct areas of the city, and the downtown has so much going on that it deserves its own councilperson. 

Perhaps there should be five wards and a member at large?  West, East, North, South and Downtown. The city does split up rather well into those five sections.

DefendYoungstown

I largely agree with Rusty Rivers overall analysis. I'd go one step further in two areas that speak more toward systemic pieces that need addressed in the short term that compliment those suggestions:

1. Neighborhood: As Rusty Waters identified, the Neighborhood Stabilization dollars will go a long way to establishing neighborhood stabilization (demo, housing rehab dollars, etc.). Other initiatives are underway as well: land bank, real property information system at YSU, establishment of the Youngstown Neighborhood Development Corporation. All a very big deal.

However, we lack an effective code enforcement system (property accountability). Mayor Williams needs to ensure the rental licence ordinance is enacted this month (as promised). He stated he would do so upon entering office (as part of moving forward with Youngstown 2010). This could have produced 4 years worth of increased accountability from those who own property in the city (especially those who own a large amount) as well as finical resources to assist with code enforcement related matters. The other part of this, however, is to separate inspection and demolition within City Hall. There is serious capacity and efficiency issues by requiring the demo folks to split their limited time/resources on code enforcement as well. The final piece is bringing accountability to the Housing Court (making sure excessive extentions are not granted to slum property owners, tough fines and penalties are attached, etc.). This is a citizen accountability piece working along with a functional Inspection component.

Sadly, both these recommendations were clearly identified in the 2003 Housing Tax Force special report to Mayor McKelvey (and Mayor Williams was the CDA Director at that time) and were to be part of moving forward with incorporating the Youngstown 2010 Plan. The current Vacant Property Initiative (Wick Neighbors Inc & National Vacant Property Campaign) of 2009 recommends the same. The committee has stated that both issues come down to the Mayor making a command decision to make this happen. The National Vacant Properties Campain is waiting on this to happen so they can return to Youngstown to offer next step suggestions regarding best practices in moving forward with code enforcement in Youngstown given our dynamics, capacity and resources. This is also important if organizations such as the Youngstown Neighborhood Development Corp are to be effective in their work.

PROBLEM: Lack of accountability regarding large-scale rental property; dysfunctional code enforcement department (City Hall); 
POTENTIAL SOLUTION: Mayor Williams must enact the land lord registration policy as well as separate Inspection from Demolition; citizens must prioritize Housing Court cases and work to ensure that violators are processed timely yet firmly and fairly.

2. City Council: There absolutely needs to be a redistricting of the ward system. The data - right now - suggests that we are in violation of the one-man-one-vote, making the current representative system unconstitutional. We do not need 7 wards nor 7 representatives making finical decisions for the city. Having 7 individuals at the table attempting to administer limited funding lends itself to parochialism, which we can ill afford. At-large representation is desperately needed. Rusty Waters provided a very good example of the problem the current structure presents.

There is also a problem with incentive. Council positions pay nearly $30,000 (and full benefits). Most council members have other full-time jobs. This is a significant supplement to income and when all you need is a bit of name recognition and a few hundred votes because the wards are too many/so small... well, you get the picture.

The proper work of a councilperson in a city such as Youngstown should be a full-time job in and of itself. I, as a community organizer, work AT LEAST 14 hrs per day (plus weekends) and I can't keep up with all that needs to be done (just to give you a sense of what type of dedication is needed).

The result of all of the above has created a situation where, generally speaking, talent/committment has been outweighed by identity/ego/easy seat for political stepping stone/strong finicial incentive to run due to an unhealthy situation via a system that allows for it to take place.

PROBLEM:  Lack of justification for the number of wards/representatives; no at-large representation; improper finicial incentive to run for seat.
POTENTIAL SOLUTION: Using YSU research and recomendation report as well as the 2010 Census data, have Mayor initiate a charter review process or file civil suit that identifies that the City of Youngstown is in constitutional violation of one-man-one-vote; redistrict/consolidate the wards to 4; create 3 At-Large positions; redefine the seats as full-time or part-time with minimal pay (or just benefits - see Mahoning County Charter Gov. proposal).

These are two immediate issues we could/must/will tackle in order to make positive change in Youngstown.

joly1584

I lived in Georgia before moving to Youngstown and worked for an international company that manufactured animal health care products.  Before locating in Georgia the company looked at locations all over the country including Pittsburgh.  The company looked at several things like cost of living, taxes, schools, proximity to airports etc.  Pittsburgh ranked #1 on the positives list but their 2 negatives were so strong that the company located in Athens, GA.

The negatives were:

1)  Strength of unions in the area.
2)  Poor quality of public schools and lack of support for higher education.  The fact that teachers unions have the right to strike also affected this-many states do not allow any unions(not just safety forces) to strike if the wages are paid by taxpayer dollars.

It was the mid 1980s when the company located in Georgia but these two things still seem to apply to this area.

Toymaker

QuoteIncome should rise as more businesses move to Youngstown and start paying taxes.  Then lower the tax rates, not before.

Theoretically true, but most cities offer economic development incentives for new or relocating businesses that include tax abatements.

Of the numerous cities I have looked in to, one offered a 10 year, tax free existence. Another city charges NO taxes to it businesses, believing that the real bonus comes in the jobs the businesses create and the taxes (income and sales) obtained from these new citizens.
The human race has one really effective weapon, and that is laughter.   -Mark Twain

Toymaker

No doubt that the roads are bad, resulting from brutal winters and salt.

But the real problem begins at the start of road construction and the bidding process. Companies everywhere who do this work win projects with low bids for work and their low cost is obtained by reducing the quality of road construction and material. It the old "you get what you pay for"... and the states pursue the worst quality to keep costs low. Apparently the fact that they have to repair and rework the roads more often and in a shorter time frame does not make them realize the total cost. And once again, it is not that engineers can not create a better product, it is that bean counters avoid such quality and efficiency!

Call local reps as well as state senators and tell them to quit wasting our money in such a fashion...and improve our roads. And ask them who to contact - National Board of Transportation, or something.
The human race has one really effective weapon, and that is laughter.   -Mark Twain

Rick Rowlands

Income should rise as more businesses move to Youngstown and start paying taxes.  Then lower the tax rates, not before.

Towntalk

Enrollment continues free fall in Youngstown public schools

http://www.vindy.com/news/2009/sep/18/enrollment-continues-free-fall-in-youngstown/

The propaganda being fed to city parents by the city schools isn't working. Obviously businesses seeing reports like this are going to look elsewhere as Rusty and others have pointed out.

A total housecleaning at the Board of Education from the top down is imperative with no one excluded.

Maby Dennis should consider looking at the job of Superintendent job because he seems to grasp the needs better than the one we now have.

jay

Rick,

Would you favor reducing both the income tax and property tax?   In either case, which services should also be cut?

Rick Rowlands

Lower the city's income tax.

Pave the roads.

Make it easy for the average person or company without political connections to get building permits without having to go through the BS that I had to go through. 

Pave the roads.

Make it known that Youngstown is a business friendly city.  I think thats already happening btw.  Look at the V&M deal.

Oh did I mention pave the roads?