News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

We Can't Even Grow Our Own Christmas Tree!

Started by jay, November 20, 2019, 06:48:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jay

I watched a TV news report last night.  Crews were working to repair the Christmas tree by fastening 2X4s on the sides of the trunk.

jay

See the front page of today's newspaper

"The upper portion of the tree broke Thursday as it was being put on a flat-bed truck"

See the photo on the front page.  It looks as though the limbs of the tree were dragging on the street from both sides of the flat-bed.  I bet a lot of needles are missing.

jazz218

The owners probably wanted to get rid of the tree, it had likely overgrown its spot. So this was an opportunity to do so free of charge. In this case, Youngstown was giving back to the suburbs!!

Why?Town

It does look like I was putting full blame for this tree debacle on Youngstown. That wasn't my goal and I should have worded my post differently.

It should have started with: "I'm not trying to create problems but... followed by the question: why would anyone give anything to someone that has taken things from them before?"

Followed by a couple of examples: "Charging higher water/sewer bills to everyone outside the city and annexing some of their land to take income tax from some low wage employees that would be much better off keeping their hard earned money when there was perfectly usable land in those areas as well as in the whole city."

Regardless of the answer to the question it's still something I'll never understand.

jazz218

The tree was willingly donated by the property owners. Sorry, no eminent domain conspiracies here.

Why?Town

I'm not trying to create problems but Youngstown wants what Youngstown wants and will take it however they can get it.

This time it was easy for them. Maybe easier than giving higher water/sewer bills to everyone outside the city and definitely easier than stealing/annexing land from them to take income tax from employees that sell fireworks (in Austintown) and Whoppers (in Boardman) when there was perfectly usable land in those areas as well as in the whole city.

Just some of the things I'll never understand.

jay

I just learned from the TV news that Youngstown's downtown Christmas tree will come from a home in Austintown.

We can't even choose a tree grown in Youngstown.

:P