News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Quiz

Started by Towntalk, April 13, 2015, 05:50:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Towntalk

Alright this was a tough one so I'll give you the answer now. It was the Excelsior Hall in the Excelsior Block on the corner of West Federal and Hazel. It seated 1000 people and brought to Youngstown many of the greatest actors and actreses of the day. It stopped being a theater when the Grand Opera House was opened, but it continued to be a dance hall until it was demolished to make room for the Liberty/Paramount Theatre. The Theater was located on the 3rd floor of the building.

Towntalk

Hint:
To find this early theater you should go to Sanborn Fire Insurance Map for the 1800's and look for it on West Federal Street on the North side of the street, but that is all I will tell you because if I told you any more I would give it away. Many great actors and actresses played that theater including John Wilks Booth's brother.

Towntalk

No. The theater I have in mind was older than the Grand Opera House.

AllanY2525

Grand Opera House on Central Square??

Towntalk

Over the years, a total of over 60 different theaters have come and gone inside the city limits, so here is a quiz for you to answer. What was Youngstown's very first theater?
Clues:
1. Pre 1875
2. It was downtown
3. It seated 1000 people
4. It was a legitamate theater